Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Meteor PAYG Tarrif?

• 14-04-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

I was flicking through their latest phones looking for something of interest a spotted in one of the drop down menu's "Meteor Anything Xtra". It only can be viewed on this page though. Take a look.

http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/payg_phones.html

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not Found

The requested URL /payg_plans_anytime_xtra.html was not found on this server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Might be up and coming a few days ago a similar thing happened before they started selling the Nokia 2626.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

http://www.meteor.ie/payg_plans_anytime_xtra.html
    it gives you free txts for life and phone a friend on meteor for free for life!! all other calls are at 25 cent more info here http://www.meteor.ie/payg_fafff.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is the only benefit so that you can get free texts AND free calls? For an extra 5c a minute to everyone who's not meteor... Doesn't seem like a great offer to me anyways..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dulpit wrote:
    Is the only benefit so that you can get free texts AND free calls? For an extra 5c a minute to everyone who's not meteor... Doesn't seem like a great offer to me anyways..
    its not even as good as that :D its free to one person and 25c to everyone else, not just other networks. i won't be signing up for it anyway

• Advertisement

Plus if your on an older price plans you will lose your meteor rewards! :(

Pyro Boy wrote:
    Plus if your on an older price plans you will lose your meteor rewards! :(
    what are these awards again? i vaguely remember getting them years ago.

and if switching to this tariff would save you more than the meteor rewards, maybe you should switch

meteor rewards give you money for spending call crd so when i spend 20 i get 3euro back and 30 i get 6 and so on.. my price plan gives me off peak times of 13c to any network.

Pyro Boy wrote:
    meteor rewards give you money for spending call crd so when i spend 20 i get 3euro back and 30 i get 6 and so on.. my price pland gives me off peak times of 13c to any network.
    getting e3 back on 20 basically gives you 15% off. getting e6 back on 30 give you 20% off.if you can save more than 20% on this tariff, then switcherooney.

13c is still the standard off peak rate

yes but the call price goes up to 25c! Plus old customers get free MMS for life too so i'll have to factor that in too i'm not too sure. Is the deal for free calls to one friend for life?

• Advertisement

Pyro Boy wrote:
    yes but the call price goes up to 25c! Plus old customers get free MMS for life too so i'll have to factor that in too i'm not too sure. Is the deal for free calls to one friend for life?
    yes but i'm sure you can change the person if they're no longer your friend. i doubt anyone sends enough mms in a month for that to be a factor.

i'm not saying it will be cheaper for you, i'm just saying don't let meteor rewards stop from changing if it would be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The new tariff is pretty good, but like all tariffs, it depends on how you use it. A common scenario would be a person who knows a lot of people on Meteor who they text a lot and call a little and probably have a boy/girl friend who they call a lot. This person can call his/her other half as often as they wish for free whereas they still get free texts to everyone else. Again, if you're calling a lot of Meteor numbers, that's what their Bill Pay talk plans are for. Still, 25c a min is a lot cheaper than other networks peak charges.

You can change your nominated 'Friend' once a month. To register a friend, use the following text format

Friend Number Name

So, Friend 0851234567 Chris

It's worth mentioning that this is the new default plan with a new number. The Anytime Plus plan is still available but you have to choose it either in store, or change it through the internet or Customer Care.

More choice is always a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'm sick and tired after one special tariff after the other. Why does no Irish operator simply offer a simple tariff structure without a subsidised phone, "free credit" or other gimmicks... Is that so hard to do?

Something along the lines of all calls within the network for 5 cents, calls to other networks 15 cents, and data 20 cents per megabyte. Instead, we get complicated tariffs that not even I can comprehend. See www.simyo.de for an example of what I am talking about.

I'm sick and tired after one special tariff after the other. Why does no Irish operator simply offer a simple tariff structure without a subsidised phone, "free credit" or other gimmicks... Is that so hard to do?

Something along the lines of all calls within the network for 5 cents, calls to other networks 15 cents, and data 20 cents per megabyte. Instead, we get complicated tariffs that not even I can comprehend. See www.simyo.de for an example of what I am talking about.
    to be fair, meteor has an almost identical tariff. 5c meteor-meteor calls and 20c to other networks. the data's not in there of course :)

There is no minimum spend on Simyo, whereas with Meteor you have to top up by at least €20 in one go every month. You also have to specifically register, whereas on Simyo everyone simply pays the same rate. No need to sign up for anything, and no need to do anything special.

Plus they have some really good options for topping up. You can set up your account to automatically top you up by €10 each before you run out of credit from either your credit card or by direct debit, up to a set limit per month (for full cost control). Alternatively, you can either top up normally, or have a fixed monthly direct debit. For example, you could tell them to take €20 a month automatically every month and no more. Some very nice options there, especially for parents who'd like to top up their kids account by a tenner a month say.

In all fairness, the German market is a lot bigger than the Irish market and those factors and economies have to be taken into account as well.

I don't see how these Meteor tariffs are complicated either. One rate for all networks, one rate for other network texts, one free Meteor number to call and free Meteor texts. Pretty easy.

chrislad wrote:
    In all fairness, the German market is a lot bigger than the Irish market and those factors and economies have to be taken into account as well.

I don't see how these Meteor tariffs are complicated either. One rate for all networks, one rate for other network texts, one free Meteor number to call and free Meteor texts. Pretty easy.

So the EU should just merge into one big country with one central government, get rid of all local government, and we will all enjoy great mobile rates? I just don't get this argument. How will doing that magically make mobile rates easier to understand? I somehow get the feeling people who say think that we would all be better off if Ireland was part of a bigger country, or want us to still be part of the UK, and can't stand Irish independence.

By the way, in Austria, a country that is much smaller than Germany, you can pick up a pay as you go SIM card that gives you 7.5 cent calls to all networks.

Back to the Meteor offer, I do think it is too complicated:

1. You have to specifically select a price plan.
    2. You have to specifically opt-in to the promotional pricing.
    3. You have to top up by a set amount at least once every 30 days in one go.

I don't know about you, but to me that seems more complicated than simply applying it to all accounts without conditions and without having to opt-in.

And €5 for a single megabyte of data...

Update: To clarify, I am not really specifically annoyed about the complexity of Meteor's offering, just in general. Like I said in the beginning, I do not understand why no Irish mobile operator simply offers an easy-to-understand SIM-only plan with no gimmicks, no free credit, no subsidised phone, no opt-in or special clauses, just plain easy to understand pricing!

Because from experience, Irish consumers don't care about great rates more than they care about free credit. The most regular question I get is not 'What's the cheapest rate?'. It's 'How much free credit do I get with that' or 'How much will I get that phone for if I go on such and such a tariff'.

Now that is a fair point.

Update: I wish an Irish operator other than 3 would start doing mobile data bundles on pay as you go. I know half my friends would go for it. Or at the very least, cap GPRS charges at €1-2 a day like O2 have done over in the UK (may have been another operator, but I think it was O2).

After all, if it is possible to offer mobile TV for between €1.99 and €4.99 a week, which is based on data, why should it not be possible to offer data for the same price? They don't even need to pay for the content in that case, like with television programming. This isn't targeted at Meteor, by the way, just a general observation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement