Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dial up deals

Options
  • 14-04-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

can't get broadband here in the semi wilds of N.Donegal so am seeking the best dial-up deal.

Am currently with utv and the deal is about €25 for 180 hours anytime per month.

This is inadequate in my situation with multiple users.

Is there a larger allowance of hours with any other company at a pro-rata price or have I got the best deal already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You've pretty much got the best deal available.

Your only other option would be Vodafone or 3 Mobile Broadband. By the sounds of it, you won't get 3G coverage yet, but you will get unlimited hours for a fixed monthly fee at the same speed as dialup.

See vodafone.ie and three.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think there may be some wireless operators in North Donegal. There's one on Inishowen somewhere I believe. As for the peninsula across Lough Swilly (not sure of name), you're in the hands of eircom's ability or lack thereof to have good wiring. A fair few exchanges in North Donegal itself are being enabled sometime in the next couple of years, so you may be lucky then.

If you want faster internet than dialup, you might want to try ISDN and use your flatrate package on it, though I'm not sure if there are issues with using dual-channel access along with reseller flatrate packages like UTV.

Mabye someone with more local knowledge can advise if there's a broadband possibility?

@ the op: have you approached any wireless operators that may be in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

this area was promised broadband two years ago but nothing happened.

now another group has stated they will cover 95% of Donegal within a year....lol.

at present I get a speed of 40K bps on dial-up.would vodafone match this?
    also play online poker so imperative that this is possible with mobile broadband.

would be great to dump my eircon line.:) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Well, I have the Vodafone mobile broadband yoke, and speeds are usually similar to 1Mb DSL. In fact, upload speeds tend to be faster, since Eircom limit the upload speed to 128k. In areas with no 3G coverage yet, speeds seem comparable to dialup, I reckon about 40-50Kbps.

If you get it, there is a 14 day money back guarantee, so if for any reason it does not work for you, you can return it for a full refund. I'd say if nothing else is available to you, it's well worth a try. And of course, you'll be able to get rid of the landline and save 25 euros line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

sounds good

is it pricey and will it adapt to my desktop and is poker possible as i'm addicted

thanks for your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think there may be some wireless operators in North Donegal. There's one on Inishowen somewhere I believe. As for the peninsula across Lough Swilly (not sure of name), you're in the hands of eircom's ability or lack thereof to have good wiring. A fair few exchanges in North Donegal itself are being enabled sometime in the next couple of years, so you may be lucky then.

If you want faster internet than dialup, you might want to try ISDN and use your flatrate package on it, though I'm not sure if there are issues with using dual-channel access along with reseller flatrate packages like UTV.

Mabye someone with more local knowledge can advise if there's a broadband possibility?

@ the op: have you approached any wireless operators that may be in your area?
    ya go for isdn, im on the 150 hours a month isdn package from eircom and it suits me grand (well till broadband comes)
    pages load almost instantly but downloading is its downfall though still a lot faster than basic dial up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

1huge1 wrote:
    ya go for isdn, im on the 150 hours a month isdn package from eircom and it suits me grand (well till broadband comes)
    pages load almost instantly but downloading is its downfall though still a lot faster than basic dial up

wait-if you get the eircom isdn, do you get 150 hours a month with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

wait-if you get the eircom isdn, do you get 150 hours a month with it?
    Basic ISDN does not include any form of Internet access. It is just a digital telephone line. You then need to subscribe to an internet package just like you would with dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

ay
    so its about 60 a month for eircom isdn and flat rate?

Advertisement