Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Bravo in the States!?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Was the old Fiat 128 called a Bravo in the States?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In fairness now ...when the bravo first came out, it was quite a striking, if not beautiful design and the one in the pics looks quite well.

Over here we're well used to them now (and well fed up with them, mostly:D ) but I can (sort of) see why someone in the US might just buy it for the novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wonder is it even possible to register that car in the US? The new owner will presumably also have to budget for fitting a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Max_Damage wrote:
    First of all, why would you even bother importing this yoke to America?

I think it was made there. Sure wasn't made over here.

3b0a_4.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fantastic Kaz

Ugly car. I really hate fiats! A good friend has a punto-love him, hate the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id say its great craic getting parts and servicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

was imported by an exchange student from France to New Jersey.

Now that's commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the_syco wrote:
    I think it was made there. Sure wasn't made over here.
    I don't think so, it looks like a European-spec car to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I've seen this car in the flesh. The undersized tyres are a dead give-away. The story I heard was that it was brought in by a diplomat's daughter. It would be very hard to put this on the road here, legally.

It's been for sale for around 2 years now. Started out at $10k, iirc.
    Max_Damage wrote:
    Americans are so bloody naive!

If I was to generalise about Irish people based on your commentary, I'd say that Irish are so bloody ignorant.

But I try not to make sweeping generalisations. I hope I'm smarter than that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The last time Fiats were officially sold in the States was in the 70s. Then there was the Yugo which only lasted a few years because it got bad press. There are companies that sell European cars in the States, for example there was a company selling Citroen XMs in California for 60,000 dollars new but that was over ten years ago. They need small modifications like fitting side repeaters for the front and rear lights.

• Advertisement

....and Federal-spec side impact bars and bumpers, speedo in miles instead of Kms, possible crash testing, emissions compliance program,......

It's pretty complex. And the side repeaters is not typically an issue any more, as most Euro-spec cars' repeaters are just fine for the US.

The emissions problem is a big deal. The EPA are a pain to work with. They require such guarantees as manufacturer's documentation stating EPA compliance, or EPA testing procedures have to be carried out.

Here are the agencies you would have to deal with to legalise a car here: EPA, Customs, DOT, Dept of Agriculture, IRS and possibly a registered Commercial Importer Agency.

I guess my point is that the FIAT is possibly here illegally, which may be why no-one bought it for 2 years.

Attached pic from 7/17/04, Asheville, NC. The Dino broke down later that day. The Spider changed hands. The GTV6 is my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

dave2pvd wrote:
    I guess my point is that the FIAT is possibly here illegally, which may be why no-one bought it for 2 years.

Well, I remember seeing about a year ago this car (or maybe it was another Bravo, although unlikely), for sale on eBay with New Jersey plates on it. I guess it was allowed on the roads. As far as I am aware with the emissions thing, California is the most strict with that whole thing. I presume others states aren't as strict, and thus cars like this can get through.

On another note, I know that this is Canada, but this would seem even more worthless to import:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Fiat-Ritmo-105TC_W0QQitemZ330108961950QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

All States are strict - or rather the EPA is strict. California is super-strict. You wouldn't stand a chance!

There are ways to get cars registered and put on the road that are not necessarily legal. This is easier to do in some states than others. So, say you import and register in Nevada (easy), then do a change of title for New Jersey...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You have made two huge generalisations. One about Fiats, and the other about Americans.

I'd say that you actually know S.F.A. about either.

prospect wrote:
    You have made two huge generalisations. One about Fiats, and the other about Americans.

I'd say that you actually know S.F.A. about either.

Bravo prospect!

sorry 'bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Doesnt "title clear"as listed on Ebay mean its legal?If it has a state title then its been legalised at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you look at the pictures, although the car is LHD, it has an MPH speedo and mileometer. That would suggest that some modification work has been done to it.

I can't think of any other LHD markets in which modern Fiats are sold that imperial measurements are used.

hi5 wrote:
    Doesnt "title clear"as listed on Ebay mean its legal?If it has a state title then its been legalised at some stage.

All that means is that the seller claims it has a clear title.
    That would suggest that some modification work has been done to it.

It would.

We could guess about this car all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Yet another thread of people who have never driven a fiat.....

You will never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

egan007 wrote:
    Yet another thread of people who have never driven a fiat.....

You will never know :)

I just find it funny that something so common over here is such a novelty over there. Though found the same thing with ford mustangs in vancouver - seemed like every second car was one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement