Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes

Options
  • 14-04-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any good tips or links on growing tomatoes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The latest thing seems to be growing tomatoes upside down. Try this site www.seedsofknowledge.com/tomato2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Thats a bit too much hassle for me I'm afraid. Cheers for the link anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

This is what I do. Sow the tomato seeds in 3 or 4in pots of multipurpose compost in early March - four seeds per pot. Put the pots in the hot press hot press until they germinate - it takes a week. As soon at the seeds germinate remove them from the hot press and put them on a sunny windowsill until they are about an inch high. Keep compost moist. Transplant the 1in seedlings to individual 4in pots of compost and keep on the window sill until they are 8 or 9ins high. This will be about two months after germination ie end April. Keep compost moist and rotate plants every few days so that they don't develop a lean towards one side. Then plant in greenhouse or polytunnel. Support the growing tomatoes with string. Good varieties are sungold and gardeners' delight for cherry tomatoes, alicante for ordinary table tomatoes, and costoluto fiorentino for beefsteak types.

Advertisement