Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker table-can it be moved?

• 14-04-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I am interested in buying a 9' or 7' snooker table for a games room measuring approx 20'11" x 12' 7" but I also want to have a foldable table tennis table in there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit brakeable castors to the bottom of the legs of the snooker table in order for it to be wheeled out of the way when not in use?
    Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Ok;
    Firstly the room you have has plenty of space so you are over the first hurdle that trips up most people.
    A 7' proper snooker table weighs in at approximately 400kg and the way a table is constructed (The wooden frame is all bolted together and the slate is left sitting on top of the frame it is not bolted to the frame the weight of the slate keeps it in place. And the cushions are then bolted onto the slate) is not really conducive to movement.
    When a snooker table is assembled in your house, assuming it is done professionally, it will be leveled accurately, this includes packing under the legs and under the slate moving it and then putting it back it will more than likely not be level.
    All these problems are multiplied if you do go for the 9' table as the slate is in 3 pieces thus increasing the amount of leveling points.

What I would recommend is getting one of these tables and then also just getting the fiberboard table tennis top and putting it on top when you are looking to use it. If you really need to get a movable table get a pool table

Sorry I went on a bit there; Summary In theory you can move it but I would not recommend it at all, If you have any other questions, ask away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

^^ I would agree with everything gerire has said. A quick answer to your question is "no". Weight dictates this as does the proper set up of the table which is tedious at the best of times due to the precision required.

The solution of the fibreboard top might be the most practical solution in your case. I don't know how this will work for heights though for the discerning player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I think the best option would be a combined snooker/TT table. Does anyone know where to get one from?

Usually the pre-built combo tables wouldn't be of the highest quality no-where near decent standard for the snooker; As I said above I'd buy a proper snooker table and go get a proper stiga table-top.

Toy shops do the pre-built combo tables; If you do go ahead and go for the proper table I'd recommend Riley they can look after you for the snooker and table tennis tables. Tell them Ger sent ya!

I've found a second hand 8'x4' snooker table for sale but am concerned about getting it up the stairs and across the landing, which is at a right angle to the stairs, to the games room. When bought new, the slate bed comes in several pieces but this is in one piece. Would it be very heavy and difficult to manoeuvre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Yes, Heavy and awkward. Friend of mine has one in his garage. Took 4 fellas all their time to get it through the garage door..... no issues with lack of space there, just the weight.

When it's upstairs, will your floors take the weight? Concrete or timber? Just something small to consider!!!!!!

On the weight issue, a full size table has 5 slate pieces. Each is about 2'6" by 6'. It takes 4 fellas to be comfortable moving them. Two people trying to move them will be knackered and maybe injured. Remember then, anytime you have 4 fellas and a major piece of stone on a stairs, you have space issues!!

In short, even though, I've never seen an 8x4 with a slate bed of multiple pieces, I'd have a look and see if one is available, but check the weight. I'd estimate that a full size table could be coming close to a tonne weight so you can work it out from there for your 8x4.

Thanks for that. If a full size is about a tonne then a 3/4 size will be about 3/4 of a tonne. The floor is timber with 9" joists - would they take that weight?

What I would recommend is getting one of these tables and then also just getting the fiberboard table tennis top and putting it on top when you are looking to use it.

What would be the best way to secure the TT table top to the snooker table when in use without damaging the snooker table?

The only thing I could think or would be going into one of the snooker shops and looking at how the "dining/snooker" tables work (hard to describe but ill try); these have removable tops and basically they have a piece of wood along the bottom of the tabletop that sits snugly on the inside of the cushion

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryanah

Yorky wrote:
    I am interested in buying a 9' or 7' snooker table for a games room measuring approx 20'11" x 12' 7" but I also want to have a foldable table tennis table in there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit brakeable castors to the bottom of the legs of the snooker table in order for it to be wheeled out of the way when not in use?
    Edit/Delete Message

Hi Yorky,
    re you situation of putting lockable castors on a snooker table. there are a few things to look out for, so be very careful as permanent damage can be done to the table if you do this.
    If the table has a sectional slate ie: 3 piece slate. The joints of the slate are sealed with plaster of paris, and any movement of the table will cause the plaster to break up, thus causing big bumps under he cloth.
    If the table is a one piece slate, you can fir castors, but there again you will find that you will not be able to level the table, and balls will `run off`.
    What i suggest you do it buy a pool table trolly which fits under the 7ft table, you then raise the table 1/2 inch, push it to its place, and then heave the trolly donw on its jacks, this is the most reliable system to use.
    Any queries, get back to me at ryanah147@hotmail.com
    Ryanah

• Advertisement

Has anyone any experience of Lyric snooker and pool in Sligo? PM me if you don't want to post here.

Finally got the table which is very good but now for the table tennis top! Does anyone know where to get a top from which will sit on top of the snooker table without damaging it? Is there a 'kit' available which can be fitted to the TT table to protect the snooker table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Claytonvox

You've probably sorted your situation now but you can get a table tennis conversion kit which aren't too pricey.

Advertisement