Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crammy Crammy

Options
  • 14-04-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

I heard a suggestion today, I done it for the JC.

Is it advisible to not do so much study now, and wait till two weeks before the LC and cram it all in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

If you don't intend to sleep, or in fact leave whatever room you study in for those two weeks, the go ahead. I'd sooner take me chances and study now.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Is it advisible to not do so much study now, and wait till two weeks before the LC and cram it all in?
    Yeah thats pretty much what i'm planning.....although the leaving cert is a pretty important exam so I may make it 3 weeks instead of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Thats what i'm planning to do, it got me through the JC no bother. I find I'm not motivated to study unless there's an approaching deadline. and cramming works perfectly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Sounds like dodgy advice tbh. I'd rather keep up a sufficient study rate for the time being than cram cram cram for the last two weeks. Best way to keep things fresh in your mind is by going over them, over and over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

People have different ways of doing things, guess it's how you set your priorities. If you don't have a really high points course you're going for I don't see the point in getting very stressed out. However, I'd say half the people studying for medicine have started cramming already.

Others, take a more leisurely route. You can be guaranteed everyone who's a big workaholic will read that sentence and think "lazy", and everyone who's a bit-less-motivated will think "me".

I'm not entirely sure that how-much-you-work, or even how well you succeed in your education, will determine how happy you are. I believe in the pursuit of education purely for education's sake, but exams? Never liked the idea. It's a competition to determine whom, out of those looking for a place in a certain course, should get a place above others. Everything else attached to the leaving cert is irrelevent I feel. But note that word, "I".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Einstein could probably pull it off with that rate of study, but if by any chance you're not Einstein I wouldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I done it for the JC.
    I'm sure you done good too.

I'm studying things I had probs with in the mocks now, then I shall cram everything once more with 2/3 weeks to go.

yep, in a sense 'cramming' close to the LC can be pulled off, provided you've 'crammed' the stuff before properly! A lot of revision during the LC is fairly pointless, depends on ones personality, for example I keep revising and revising throughout the year (coz I've a fear of forgetting everything..I dunno) whereas lots of my friends might learn something (properly) once, ignore it for a few months then go over it and have the same knowledge more or less... all depends on the person

Yeah, I'm probably like your friends. Once somethng is learned I don't forget it, might have to go over it to ensure it comes to me in the exam, but I don't find the need to constantly go over things.

I am a crammer at heart though. When I look at the LC timetable I always make mental notes like "I'll have 4 days free before Physics" or "I'll have 2 days free before App Maths" so I can organise myself to maximise my cramming potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Gonna just cover everything and do some exam papers up until June I think. I have a lot of free time during the leaving too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

JC 2K3 wrote:
    When I look at the LC timetable I always make mental notes like "I'll have 4 days free before Physics" or "I'll have 2 days free before App Maths" so I can organise myself to maximise my cramming potential.

I actually thought everyone did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

My 2nd last exam is on June 13th which means I have 8 days to cram for the last exam - music. Its a damn shame the course is so short... there's practically nothing to cram!

Probably.

We're all crammers at the end of the day.

Aye. /crams some Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

my 2nd last exam is business and my last is ag.science........ so thats 8 days :D which is alot of free time to cram i suppose

most people I know are always complaining they do no study and its only in the last few weeks (sometimes even days!) that they start studying.... Perhaps when the pressure is on, you know that you really have to put your head in the books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think cramming only works for certain people, i.e. if youre naturally bright and pick up on things easy and quickly....

For my LC, I didnt exactly overdo it all year and regularly skipped classes. For maths and irish, I may as well have been non-existant such was my interest in them. Having said that, 2 days before the LC, I crammed like hell, looking at the subjects I would be doing 2 days from then, and then crammed for each subject the day after from then on. And it worked. I was aiming for 475, and got 475. Its also worked for me in college. 1st semester, my attendance and attention was poor but I still passed all my subjects (including a much heralded 99% in I.T) and this semester my attendance is probably the worst in the college.

Im not bragging by any means, Im just saying that cramming works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Steve01 wrote:
    My 2nd last exam is on June 13th which means I have 8 days to cram for the last exam - music. Its a damn shame the course is so short... there's practically nothing to cram!
    I'm in almost the exact same situation, I have 5 days between my second last exam (German) and my last exam (Economics).And Economics is the smallest course i'm doing!And its also the one i'm best it!!It sucks the way thats worked out.I mean why the **** couldn't they have History or Business as one of the last exam?Putting them on the same day is ****ing mad!!!Thats going to be such a long day........

*Starts sobbing*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I've no breaks, I finish on the 13th :D

I kinda have that ability to look over something and know it as well as I did before..awesome. Served me well in the JC.

I'm in almost the exact same situation, I have 5 days between my second last exam (German) and my last exam (Economics).And Economics is the smallest course i'm doing!And its also the one i'm best it!!It sucks the way thats worked out.I mean why the **** couldn't they have History or Business as one of the last exam?Putting them on the same day is ****ing mad!!!Thats going to be such a long day........

*Starts sobbing*

Exam timing can be just unfair... I've 6 days break before accounting, then economics... which isn't particularly needed.... yet I've Home Ec on the same day as Irish, in between eng n maths, arghhh, it's just not fair!!!!! :mad: at least it's only pass Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Music is my last exam -- around five days after every other subject. After seeing our mock results, our teacher suggested bringing us in for a few days in June for some last minute cramming. The class is small so it wouldn't be too difficult on anyone.

The best cramming is between exams and, of course, before exams! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I don't know the timetable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

yeah thats exactly what i did for the junior certificate. i took two weeks off school (giving me three weeks altogether, including the free week we have before the exams), and i studied on average 6-8 hours a day, seven days a week. it worked well for me. i am much more capable of studying when i'm put under pressure. i just can't study months in advance! it's completely ineffective for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Archimedes wrote:
    I think cramming only works for certain people, i.e. if youre naturally bright and pick up on things easy and quickly....

For my LC, I didnt exactly overdo it all year and regularly skipped classes. For maths and irish, I may as well have been non-existant such was my interest in them. Having said that, 2 days before the LC, I crammed like hell, looking at the subjects I would be doing 2 days from then, and then crammed for each subject the day after from then on. And it worked. I was aiming for 475, and got 475. Its also worked for me in college. 1st semester, my attendance and attention was poor but I still passed all my subjects (including a much heralded 99% in I.T) and this semester my attendance is probably the worst in the college.

Im not bragging by any means, Im just saying that cramming works for me.
    Are you me?:D I've gone in for 5 hours out of 40/50 in the last 2 weeks.

And as said above, cramming works for some people. Personally I wouldn't dream of studying until a day or 2 before an exam. And I think that anything can be learnt in a few hours or a day if you understand things rather than learn them off. Yet I know people who look at me like I'm crazy for not studying every night/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im also a believer in the cramming technique, the main problem for my mocks was that the computer and phantom snow really didn't allow me cram!

On the Morning after my Graduation May 22nd. I will be turning OFF my computer, having printed off everything i need and not switching it back on until June 6th. Doing 8 hour days.

For the next two weeks it's Irish and French Oral time and then moderate studying until the Graduation, 2 after school, 3/4 on weekend days. The week before Grad pick things up abit and then hit "le cram":D

One of the things that i feel it useless in studying before a few days before the exam is English, the Poets and Macbeth are prime cramming material and that is the only way i can do English, cram.

For subjects such as Geography and Biology, a longer cram is perfect.

Maths and Physics need an extra long cram (3 weeks)

French and Irish need a decent cram but in a short period (1 week before)

Advertisement