Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What's That Song" Thread [ PLEASE READ ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Trying to think of a song heard in a bar last night -it's an old song and sounds very Motown but slow and sultry to start with the word "Tonight... doo doo doo (heavy bass sound) followed by more quietly spoken lyrics before breaking off into a sort of crescendo that sounds like "it's the dawn/start of a seeeeeaaa-sonnnn" (may or may not be actual words)

I know it's a pretty popular song and I'm quite sure it's been used in an ad before -my friend claims its from Forrest Gump but I haven't found there from searching the soundtrack :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matt.finn

Syndic wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Revenge ad but this song instantly came to mind;

Nail on the head there, Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

gara wrote: »
    Trying to think of a song heard in a bar last night -it's an old song and sounds very Motown but slow and sultry to start with the word "Tonight... doo doo doo (heavy bass sound) followed by more quietly spoken lyrics before breaking off into a sort of crescendo that sounds like "it's the dawn/start of a seeeeeaaa-sonnnn" (may or may not be actual words)

I know it's a pretty popular song and I'm quite sure it's been used in an ad before -my friend claims its from Forrest Gump but I haven't found there from searching the soundtrack :confused:
    Probably not but description sounds a little like Nina Simone-Feeling Good???

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Probably not but description sounds a little like Nina Simone-Feeling Good???

Thank you but no, there's more of a very slow, sexy sound at the start before becoming more... triumphant? towards the end -very motown feel, pretty famous and I'm almost 100% its been used in an ad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Long shot but is this it?

• Advertisement

vektarman wrote: »
    Long shot but is this it?

Oh my God, YES!!!! That is it -thank you so very much, you've made my day! :):)

There's a song I'm trying to remember, but really can't - I remember the video quite vividly but that's it and think the artists first name might be Tom something and it's mostly using loops.

The video starts off with a shot of a kitchen and he picks up a saltshaker and starts shaking it, then loops the sound, and does various things like that around the kitchen before moving around the flat into a sound studio, where there's a lot of instruments and he continues playing the song like that. It's all filmed in black and white.

Pretty vague, but I remember how good the song was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Oh my God, YES!!!! That is it -thank you so very much, you've made my day! :):)
    No probs, always nice when a rare tune is the right one...:)

There's a song I'm trying to remember, but really can't - I remember the video quite vividly but that's it and think the artists first name might be Tom something and it's mostly using loops.

The video starts off with a shot of a kitchen and he picks up a saltshaker and starts shaking it, then loops the sound, and does various things like that around the kitchen before moving around the flat into a sound studio, where there's a lot of instruments and he continues playing the song like that. It's all filmed in black and white.

Pretty vague, but I remember how good the song was.
    That sounds really familiar.
    Someone else has been looking for it on another site,another description might refresh someones memory
    The whole video is shot in one take, no cuts. The artist starts in a kitchen and makes a beat by turning the coffemachin on and off, playing on some spoons, playing maraccas on a coffecan. This sound i looped so that he "builds up" the beat. I belive the loops are added afterwards, he dosent have any pedal in the video.

Then he starts to sing, and walks to the next room wich is a studio. There he plays many instruments. Piano, guitarr, drums. All this builds up to a nice song.

I belive that the songs chorus included something like "I hate you" or something like that. Even though it was a nice soft song.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    That sounds really familiar.
    Someone else has been looking for it on another site,another description might refresh someones memory

That's precisely it! If I could remember some lyrics, I could try and look with them on Google to see if I can find the song, but I really can't.

Think I found that other site you were talking about, but nobody answered it there.

Through searching for the random keywords - "looping" sound "one take" coffee machine - I came across this pretty vague site and lo and behold, there's the name of the song and the artist:

David Ford - Go to Hell

Cheers for mentioning that there was a coffee machine, that's what found it for me.

• Advertisement

Cheers for mentioning that there was a coffee machine, that's what found it for me.
    Nice one,I searched a few of those words myself but got absolutely zilch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Swish87 wrote: »
    Anyone know the song that is used for the New vodafone advert? with the twins in it. Cant even seem to find the ad itself online to use Shazam!

Bump. Shazam doesn't seem to recognise it when I use my phone when it's on the TV.

Seems to be a remix of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yC_ONRzemw

The problem with a lot of songs on adverts is that sometimes the artist gets commissioned to do the song specifically for that, so you'd be hard pushed to find the song anywhere else.

I'll take a quick look and let you know what I come up with.

Came across this and I'm just going through to see if I can find the specific name for that advert and then working from there.

The link I provided above seems to be just for the Indian Vodafone site - didn't realize, will check to see if they've similar on the UK/Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ktm003

SAYMONUE wrote: »
    Sorry. I'll check. It might be the Taylor swift songs that wouldn't load on Youtiube for me. I did read the last 5 pages to see if it was mentioned.
    song on rte 2 ad? ill follow?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The problem with a lot of songs on adverts is that sometimes the artist gets commissioned to do the song specifically for that, so you'd be hard pushed to find the song anywhere else.

I'll take a quick look and let you know what I come up with.

Came across this and I'm just going through to see if I can find the specific name for that advert and then working from there.

The link I provided above seems to be just for the Indian Vodafone site - didn't realize, will check to see if they've similar on the UK/Irish one.

Yeah, I get that.

No such service on the Irish site. No surprise there - it's an awful site in all other respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 old yellar

Hi. Heard a song that michael stipe did vocals on and i thought it was with aimee man. It has the words blaze again my nightgown and something about circles? Vague i know! Thanks.

old yellar wrote: »
    Hi. Heard a song that michael stipe did vocals on and i thought it was with aimee man. It has the words blaze again my nightgown and something about circles? Vague i know! Thanks.
    Think this is the one you're looking for

Thanks. Got it on I tunes. Was doing my head in.
    please could u post me the song!? thanks! cant find it anywhere its wrecking my head! thanks!

What's the RTE ad promoting autumn programmes?

A girl sings the chorus "I'll I'll follow..."

Thanks in advance

If anyone has found the title of this song please let me know! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

ktm003 wrote: »

I Follow Rivers by Lykke Li, someone said it like 2 pages back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

ktm003 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I imagine this will be a very difficult one to pin down, it's driving me mad.

As far as I know, its a current song. I've heard in a few bars and on the radio. It sounds a lot like something Florence and the Machine would but having listened to all the singles they've ever released, I'm sure it isn't.

Basically, that's all I have to go on. It sounds a lot like Florence and the Machine but it isn't. It's current but I've searched the singles chart and haven't found it. The only thing I can say about the song is that it's very powerful. The music rises really strongly right before the chorus. Unfortunately, I can't make out any of the words very clearly. There's possibly something about "we broke the rules" in the build-up to the chorus but searching for this has taken me further away. I'm certain the song is in English and if I had to guess, the singer is an English woman, but wouldn't be certain.

As you can see, this is incredibly difficult to pin down for me. Any ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Completely wild guess, something by Marina and The Diamonds? That's not the name of the song, just a wild guess that it might be one of her songs. :)

Just listened to a few of her songs, none of them were the song and I don't think it was her.

This group probably have a style that's somewhere between MATD and FATM, maybe more on the FATM side.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

Right was looking through my old itunes today before i wiped it clear off the old computer and I found an old proper mainstream pop/rock song from im guessing between 2005-2009.

I cant remember the artist/lyrics or the name of the song but all I can remember was the music video.

It was a band playing on a stage in a large red building and the lead singer had long black hair and was wearing awfully tight red skinny jeans.

If anyone has a clue what the song was please let me know otherwise its going to wreck my head for days!

The band name was a bit unusal aswell if that helps?

Sounds like the video is something by the White Stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

No I know the whitestripes!

This crowd were american, they were a one hit wonder over here in Ireland/UK as far as I know!

I dont think i have enough information for ye to guess it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

No red skinny jeans but the background is red...

Could it be this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I imagine this will be a very difficult one to pin down, it's driving me mad.

As far as I know, its a current song. I've heard in a few bars and on the radio. It sounds a lot like something Florence and the Machine would but having listened to all the singles they've ever released, I'm sure it isn't.

Basically, that's all I have to go on. It sounds a lot like Florence and the Machine but it isn't. It's current but I've searched the singles chart and haven't found it. The only thing I can say about the song is that it's very powerful. The music rises really strongly right before the chorus. Unfortunately, I can't make out any of the words very clearly. There's possibly something about "we broke the rules" in the build-up to the chorus but searching for this has taken me further away. I'm certain the song is in English and if I had to guess, the singer is an English woman, but wouldn't be certain.

As you can see, this is incredibly difficult to pin down for me. Any ideas.

Could it be Breath of Life by FATM? They did it for the Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack, don't think it was released as an actual single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

So glad I've found this thread here. I've heard a song from an old Premiership Years on Sky Sports a couple of days ago and then heard it again on Friday in Olympics' Most Amazing Moments and it's been wrecking my head since. It's featured here but there's no discernable lyrics and no way of identifying it otherwise:

It starts at the 1:42:53 mark and pretty much goes til the end of the clip.

Many thanks in advance to whomever identifies it.

Advertisement