Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What's That Song" Thread [ PLEASE READ ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

shawiing wrote: »
    Does ne body know that song from the rte ad for all the shows its showing in april?
    Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that too. It's a really well edited ad featuring clips from various primetime shows (DH, Lost, Ugly Betty etc), sports clips and so on. The song is quite melancholy and "epic" with a really beautiful melody. Kinda layered/"ambient" sound with a distorted vocal that I think might be that of Elizabeth Fraser from Cocteau Twins but I'm not 100% sure. She's singing a folky "chant" rather than actual words. I'm thinking maybe Lisa Gerrard/Dead Can Dance too, but I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Whats that song on the Current 7UP Add??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

barcoe4 wrote: »
    The song

Rock da boat is played at partys and Every1 gets on the ground and forms what looks like your Rocking the boat!

I looked on youtube and this stupid rock da boat comes up with some stupid dance.

So who is the Artist of Rock the boat? The one every1 literally rocks da boat to!!?????

As this song was recorded at a time when people spoke proper English, if you search Youtube for "Rock the Boat" you'll be able to find this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Please Please Please does anybody know the name the tune that is on the current "Voyage of Discovery" advert on RTE. The ad features clips from various RTE2 programs for April but the music on it is absolutely ear-catching. I thought it might be Tori Amos or some one like that.

Please anybody, if you can enlighten me on the name of the tune and the singer, I will forever be enslaved!!!!!:)

cheers,
    Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

Does anyone know the name of the mick take Irish rap song being played on 102 and 2fm at the moment. something about drinking and Irish culture. Pog Mo thoin etc in the lyrics.

I havent heard it but my english mates are over for a few days and they have heard it twice now and want to know what is it.

Not much to go on I know ... Help !

Cheers Lads x

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Does anyone know the name of the mick take Irish rap song being played on 102 and 2fm at the moment. something about drinking and Irish culture. Pog Mo thoin etc in the lyrics.

I havent heard it but my english mates are over for a few days and they have heard it twice now and want to know what is it.

Not much to go on I know ... Help !

Cheers Lads x
    It's not Des Bishop's version of 'Jump Around' - is it?

Downloadable here!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

No its not the Des Bishop song, think its something about 'an Irish party song'

I found it ta, It's The Shakey Song. 'Irish Party'

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Please Please Please does anybody know the name the tune that is on the current "Voyage of Discovery" advert on RTE. The ad features clips from various RTE2 programs for April but the music on it is absolutely ear-catching. I thought it might be Tori Amos or some one like that.

Please anybody, if you can enlighten me on the name of the tune and the singer, I will forever be enslaved!!!!!:)

cheers,
    Patrick
    I've asked the same question a few posts up. It sounds like it might be Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins) or Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance) but maybe neither.

Yeah it's a gorgeous tune...

Somebody please put us out of our misery!

Yeah Dubres it certainly is an encapturing and enchanting piece of music. It has haunted me for the last days. I asked a friend of mine when it came on last night who did she think it was and she reckoned it was Kate Bush. Though I think she may be wrong on that. To me it sounds like Tori Amos singing backwards or something. :)

But anyway, if anybody knows, Please Please let us know, it has become ingrained in our soul !!!!!!

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean about the Tori Amos thing, and yeah it is quite Kate Bush-like but don't think it's her.
    It also reminds me of a Canadian singer called Mary Margaret O'Hara - very strange chick indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Penfold76

cheers,
    Patrick

Hi there,

Myself & my girlfriend (Sarah) have been trying to find it for the last few days too...
    ... but I found it tonight.

It's "Ghost" by Siobhan Donaghy, and you can get it on her myspace page:
    www.myspace.com/siobhandonaghyparlophone
    It's the first track on her player and if you click the download button, it'll download onto your desktop 4 U. I'm listening to it at the moment on CD that I just burnt... ...BRILLIANT!

PS Feel free to visit MY own MySpace music page,
    You might like my own stuff!
    It's...
    www.myspace.com/musicdavidmullen

Send me a comment letting me know it was you looking for that track (So I'll know)
    Great tast in music by the way,

Cheers,

Dave (Penfold)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Good man Dave!:cool:

Penfold76.. your new moderator status (after 1 post.. that must be a record) is truly founded.

Thanks for that.. great song.

Oh excellent! Thanks a mil Dave. Siobhan Donaghy - never thought of her (she's a former Sugababe). But she did bring out another single last year called Don't Give It Up which is absolutely remarkable. And also very Kate Bush-like. She's going in a cool direction, but then the Sugababes have always been that bit more credible than their contemporaries.
    Great voice - commercial success has eluded her thus far, but maybe in time...

And do check out that song Don't Give It Up by her. What a voice.

Actually, the aforementioned Kate Bush recorded a song with Peter Gabriel with nearly the same title - Don't Give Up. It's not that though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aimster

Anto McC wrote: »
    A song that is out at the moment or recently with the lyrics

"even as a boy of sixteen......."

I know it's from a while ago, but thats The Flaws song, Sixteen. Sticks in yer head something serious.

Got some savage tunes out of this thread :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Dudess wrote: »

Had a quick listen and wasn't very impressed. The good bits have all been done before and done better by Kate Bush, Liz Fraser, Alison Goldfrapp et al and the bad stuff just sounded like the usual drivel you will here on 98FM and FM104.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Fair point, the verses are pretty generic. I think the chorus is amazing though.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh excellent! Thanks a mil Dave. Siobhan Donaghy - never thought of her (she's a former Sugababe). But she did bring out another single last year called Don't Give It Up which is absolutely remarkable. And also very Kate Bush-like. She's going in a cool direction, but then the Sugababes have always been that bit more credible than their contemporaries.
    Great voice - commercial success has eluded her thus far, but maybe in time...

Actually, the aforementioned Kate Bush recorded a song with Peter Gabriel with nearly the same title - Don't Give Up. It's not that though...

:)
    I will second that, thanks a billion times Dave!!!, how on earth did you come across it??. I, and I am sure a thousand others are very very grateful. The tune is playing now and it is absolutely magnificent!!!. Agree that Sugababes have brought out some really good tunes as compared to the other thrash that is around today.

Cheers again Dave, very much apprieciated!! and great music yourself by the way.
    :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Agree that Sugababes have brought out some really good tunes as compared to the other thrash that is around today.

I would have said the Sugababes are as much to blame as any of the other bland and meaningless 'bands' out that there for all the thrash around today. If you like them that's cool but to me they are no different to any other girl/ boy band put together by accountants.

Sorry for ranting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I disagree. Some acts just do good pop - I think Sugababes are a good example. Round Round, Freak Like Me (I know, I know, it's just Tubeway Army but still very well done) and Stronger are excellent. I think Sugababes are a lot better than e.g. Girls Aloud. And they are Mozartian compared to Atomic Kitten...

Edit: Had a listen to Ghosts on MySpace. Meh, the part used for the RTE 2 ad is great, but that's the best part of the song. The verses are fairly mediocre. Seems like she's got a knack for a killer chorus but that's all. Still though, a good chorus is never a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philiewhat

Hiya all, seen an add for CSI on RTE a few days ago and the only thing I can remember about the song, is that there wasa female singer singing it - real downtempo chill kinda stuff and I think it shows some murderer crying on a dead body or something like that, if anyone knows the name of the song I would really appriciate it, thanx in advance:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

philiewhat wrote: »
    Hiya all, seen an add for CSI on RTE a few days ago and the only thing I can remember about the song, is that there wasa female singer singing it - real downtempo chill kinda stuff and I think it shows some murderer crying on a dead body or something like that, if anyone knows the name of the song I would really appriciate it, thanx in advance:rolleyes:

I think, now I think but i'm not sure that its a cover of the John Lennon song "One Day (At A Time) because if you Google the lyrics there very very similar to that song. You can have a look at them here http://johnlennon.lyrics.info/onedayatatime.html I could be wrong... and also I think alot of people have covered that song too...

As for who is singing it, I have no idea!!! :rolleyes:

I could be way off here but I've been trying to find out what it is too!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

heard a song on 2fm (colm and jim jim breakfast show) a couple of times..

it goes something along the lines of "what kind of music do you like, do you like funky music"

thats the only line of it i remember but its been in my head all day ?
    they say 'music' like 'moosic' too if that helps :D

PlayGirl wrote: »
    heard a song on 2fm (colm and jim jim breakfast show) a couple of times..

it goes something along the lines of "what kind of music do you like, do you like funky music"

thats the only line of it i remember but its been in my head all day ?
    they say 'music' like 'moosic' too if that helps :D
    I think that's a 'Messiah J & The Expert' song... not sure of the name though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gooseberry

Does anyone know what the music being used in the new Irish Times ad at the mement is???

Tom Dunne is doing the voiceover, think it might be the Pixies but not sure.

Been wrecking my head for days

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gooseberry

Never mind... Its the Flaming lips Yeah Yeah Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Lads can anyone tell me what song is playing in "Walk the Line" from 02:48 to 03:00? I have heard it a few times before and cant find out what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Lads, here's a good one for you.

Anyone know this track from the Sky EPG music...

Here's a small sound bite... SKY EPG MUSIC.

Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hi all

Firstly thanks for finding the Siobhan Donaghy song... well done.

I was listening to Tom Dunne on Thursday night but I had to get out of the car before he gave the names of the first two songs he played (after the oasis track). Does anyone remember what they were.

The first had a bit in it going "one... two.... three..." im afraid thats all i can remember but i loved it! Please post if you know the songs im on about.

Thanks

Advertisement