Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100m newest star?

• 14-04-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

http://folk.uio.no/perel/

Check out the Class 1 Boys 100 link, I know guys his age have run faster but this guy looks so easy running 10.11 here. Ato Boldon reckons he could be the man to push Powell. Keep an eye on him, Yohan Blake.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What a talent. Only Darrell Brown and Mark Lewis-Francis have ever run faster as 17 year-olds, but Blake is a few months younger. I hope he doesn't fizzle out like the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Do you think it's fair to say black athletes mature a lot faster than whites. Cuz some of the junior records (vast majority blacks) are unfathamoble! And this guy's only 17? I bet he looks about 25. More power to him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/TeenAge/html/20070409T200000-0500_121497_OBS_YOHAN_BLAKE__LIFE_IN_THE_FAST_LANE.asp

He is not massively big, he could easily be a 400m runner with his build. He is very smooth and has a bit of Carl Lewis about him, a floater more than a driver. Thats why I think there is more to come, he can get bigger and stronger, with Mark Lewis Francis you got the sense that he was as physically strong at 17 as we was ever going to be.

Don't think its a colour thing, Wayne Rooney was pretty big when he was 16 and we all know athletes in Ireland who swept the boards when they were 13/14/15 because of their size but when everyone caught up in late teens they are just average. The vast majority of senior records are unfathomable and held by black athletes, so it makes sense that the juniors would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tingle wrote:
    The vast majority of senior records are unfathomable and held by black athletes, so it makes sense that the juniors would be the same.

Not that I like keeping scores, and what's black and white anyway, but of the 20 individual Olympic events, the score is 11-9 in favour of black athletes on the male side, and 15-5 in favour of whites on the female side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Slow coach wrote:
    Not that I like keeping scores, and what's black and white anyway, but of the 20 individual Olympic events, the score is 11-9 in favour of black athletes on the male side, and 15-5 in favour of whites on the female side.

I would always have presumed it was weighted much more, there you go the white man and woman ain't too slow after all! I suppose I was referring to the short speed events where there would be black domination particularly on the mens side. I wonder has researched been done on what is the peak age for certain events? Quick scan of the age of the top 10 male preformers when they ran PB's in these events might indicate that in middle distance you'll run your best times in the early/mid 20's.

100m 27yrs
    400m 23yrs
    800m 24yrs
    5000m 24yrs
    Marth 29yrs

• Advertisement
Advertisement