Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolermaster Centurion 532

Options
  • 14-04-2007 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Ok, I'm building a rather high-speced machine with 8800 GTX SLi and Core 2 Extreme 2.93. I'm trying to keep it quiet, but I doubt it will be. Just going to try and use fans.. I'm using the Abit In9 32-Max motherboard which has its own heatpipe system.

Just wondering if this computer would end up melting down, I really need a case that has excellent airflow and this case seems cheap.. then again it doesnt have a PSU so that would explain it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

hey from my experience recently keeping everything quiet can be easy for everything but the PSU as most that are advertised as quiet aren't. Apparently Seasonics are actually one of the best overall. But if budget permits try look into a Passively cooled one, although for sli silent PSU might not be an option 1000Watts+ needed or a pair of lower wattage but you'd have to find a case to fit em or mod one.Antecp190 coming out soon. expensive though. as for the CPu go for the tuniq tower or a scythe or the new thermal take one cant remember name now,as i hear they can be left on very low speed and still cool well on stock speed. Dont know about cooling an 8800 though i have a x1950 that is cooled with zalman and is very quiet. As for the case never heard of it but as long as there is some airflow through the case it's really more down to the Heatsinks you use. what cards exactly are you buying? if they're top top end and you have money to burn invest in the ready water cooled ones and a pump and double rad that ud get all the gfx heat out of your case and with two 8800 gtx @ 175+watts each thats a lot of heat. it's possible to upgrade to water cooling yourself afterwards for a little cheaper but then you Void your warrenties. Plenty of cheap cases out there that ill do just as good a job as expensive ones. i think what makes expensive ones is build quality ease of use and asthetic design. think i've gone a little off topic but this is the way i'd do it if i was goin for that kind of setup and could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It certainly wont melt down with just the stock cooling place though noise of course could be a factor.

You can't change the cooling on the GeForce 8 as there are no after market compatible coolers.

CPU cooling if you want to keep noise down go with a Scythe or Tuniq Tower 120 cooler with the Tuniq being the best choice.

Buy a motherboard with passive cooling of it's chipset do not buy one with an active fan.

That leaves the power supply generally Seasonic or Tagan are what I would recommend as they are quite in use and deliver the juice for the hardware. I would probably go for a 600W or 700W model with that hardware.

Everything else can be left as is & does not require cooling, you can use extra fans if you want to in the case but it should not be necessary unless their is some sort of problem which leads to heat build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

as a matter of interest how loud are stock 8800 coolers. i'd imagine there pretty loud but i dont know.It's meant to be a quiet build and a water circuit on the GFX would be easily done. and could be very quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you have heard the cooler on the 7900GTX it's about the same which is pretty decent given the amount of work it has to do. It's not as loud as the fans on the X1900 series where.

There are some water cooling blocks out there now for it I believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement