Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic Wooden Gates in South East?

Options
  • 14-04-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm looking into putting in a set of gates for my new house.

The entrance is 18 feet wide, so I'm looking into a side gate (4 ft) and drive through (14ft) option.

I have received prices from 1,600 to 2,500 depending on wether it's vertical strips or full panels. With an additional 1,600 for automatic arms (cable already in place)

Can anyone comment on these prices, or recommend other sources in the south east?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there is a company in wicklow, called Structure electrical Ltd
    01-2017812 detail available if you google them
    http://www.ecssa.ie/contractor.php?action=list&county=ww

anyway they do the automation etc and in my case organised the steel gates and civil works too.

anyway it might be near enough to you, I'm not sure about the costs of wooden gates, but the electical cost sounds beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

If your technically minded at all you could install motors yourself. A friend in work installed his own and saved a fortune. Bought all the gear from ebay for between 500-700 sterling including keypad, remote and intercom system. Laying the cable seems to be a good chunk of work done. I was thinking of getting it done in southeast aswell but might do it myself now although I have plenty of other things on my long finger list to do first.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Hootie,

Did you do this yet - also thinking of DIY'ing it - seems there are plenty of DIY kits for this - Liftmaster is the one I'm looking at.

My issue is getting the gates hung on a concrete pier as near to corner as possible as wanted to use the arm rather than underground system due to poor drainage.

I'm not sure about the articulated arms which do support gates mounted centrally on a wide pier - look problematic.

Anyway would be keen to hear experience of any DIYers on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

towbar wrote:
    Hootie,

Did you do this yet - also thinking of DIY'ing it - seems there are plenty of DIY kits for this - Liftmaster is the one I'm looking at.

My issue is getting the gates hung on a concrete pier as near to corner as possible as wanted to use the arm rather than underground system due to poor drainage.

I'm not sure about the articulated arms which do support gates mounted centrally on a wide pier - look problematic.

Anyway would be keen to hear experience of any DIYers on this.

get ur hinges custom made with two straps on them that will allow fixing on the corner: have seen it done down the road, hinges are in stainless steel
    hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

Hi, I am involved in the gate automation business, feel free to as a question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement