Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carina Started Work Part Deux

Options
  • 14-04-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Right here we go again, got a Carina II 1990 1.6 needs a wash and a shave under the armpits, got her into the garage today started at 10am didnt finish 'till 7pm, and i'm knackerd :o the feckin' heat!! anyway ALOT of fillin', sandin', rubblin', shoutin', cryin', and bleadin', and now she's ready for primer, unlike the other one this one had the added headache of rust ''aka automotive acne'', which was fun:( but i think its all good now, thing about this car is it only has 78k mls the t/b replaced at 61K and 4 new shocks :) and i gave her a service plugs air/oil filter and a oil change and she's as sweet as a nut.

So paint and primer tomorrow:D

-VB-

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice work :D

I still think you are mad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why?

Not everyone needs to be seen in a 07 reg car.

Also the Carina II was one of the better cars in it's class on sale at the time. The 16 valve engines were both nippy and economical, better than anything that the likes of Ford, Opel, Nissan, etc were offering at the time. The 1.6 had 90bhp which was pretty good for 1988. It was also one of the first cars to have power steering as standard at the time. There are still quite a good few of these cars still going strong these days. How many Sieras, Asconas or Bluebirds do you still see on the roads these days. It will be nice to see another one of these old cars restored back to former glory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    Why?

Also the Carina II was one of the better cars in it's class on sale at the time. The 16 valve engines were both nippy and economical, better than anything that the likes of Ford, Opel, Nissan, etc were offering at the time. The 1.6 had 90bhp which was pretty good for 1988. It was also one of the first cars to have power steering as standard at the time. There are still quite a good few of these cars still going strong these days. How many Sieras, Asconas or Bluebirds do you still see on the roads these days. It will be nice to see another one of these old cars restored back to former glory.

I just do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Best of luck with the project! I was sickened when I had to give up my '89 1.5 16v SE Limited Corolla. Great car, even toyed with the idea of putting a 4-AGE Twin cam engine into her but then laziness took over. She had the works, aircon, electrics all round, GTi style interior and a great engine to boot. Still wonder about what might have been!!

Best of luck with the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just out of interest, where was the rust and how bad was it.

I still see loads of this model Carina about. I'd say today alone I've seen around 8 of them which is not bad for a model that is at least 15 years old. I'd wonder about rust though as many of them are going around with the wheel arches clogged with muck and cow sh1t which must provide a nice breeding ground for rust :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Same colour as my dad's old one until the mother wedged iot between the pillars..I can't talk though cos I smacked her mirror off it last week reversing in!!!

Very comfortable car...not quite as comfortable as the Vectra we had after it, but nearly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Looking good VB! Keep them photo's coming as the project progresses. I'd be interested to see the finished job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Join the club tbh:)

bazz26 wrote:
    Why?

There is a very slim chance any 07 cars will be around in 17 years the service costs will outweigh the value of the car in 10 years time.

[QUOTE-BrianD3]Just out of interest, where was the rust and how bad was it.[/QUOTE]

on the 1/4 panels, boot , two holes in the wing, the window surrounds, below the 1/4 panel mouldingds, none on the arches:rolleyes: .

ninty9er wrote:
    Same colour as my dad's old one until the mother wedged iot between the pillars..I can't talk though cos I smacked her mirror off it last week reversing in!!!

PM me your dads number when your ready:)
    crosstownk wrote:
    Looking good VB! Keep them photo's coming as the project progresses. I'd be interested to see the finished job.

thanks lads, this is my second, i regretted selling the other one so much:o so i had to get anotherone:D.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

had an 89 2ltr gli hatch one time, suprised a lot of guys at take off, never gave an ounce of trouble, wish i could have it back

Volvoboy wrote:
    PM me your dads number when your ready:)
    -VB-

Wouldn't be much good to you now...the car made an exit to a first time buyer in 01 shortly after the Vectra arrived...took no length to sell...less than a week!!! It took about 6 weeks to sell his corsa last year!!! and the Vectra took 3 months to shift!!

I was very sad to see that Vectra go..I'd have taken that over my Corsa anyday!!

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    Wouldn't be much good to you now...the car made an exit to a first time buyer in 01 shortly after the Vectra arrived...took no length to sell...less than a week!!! It took about 6 weeks to sell his corsa last year!!! and the Vectra took 3 months to shift!!

I was very sad to see that Vectra go..I'd have taken that over my Corsa anyday!!

HAHA, in the buy and sell a few weeks back there was a 89 carina new exhaust and battery for €200 i phoned it at 08:30 on the monday when the paper went out and it had already gone:o. already having offers on mine, no chance:D

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

old boy wrote:
    had an 89 2ltr gli hatch one time, suprised a lot of guys at take off, never gave an ounce of trouble, wish i could have it back

Wanna buy a 90 one? :D

Not your ornery onager

Volvoboy wrote:
    HAHA, in the buy and sell a few weeks back there was a 89 carina new exhaust and battery for €200 i phoned it at 08:30 on the monday when the paper went out and it had already gone:o. already having offers on mine, no chance:D

-VB-

You should look at the vectra GLS too, seats a lot more comfy than the base and solid like the carina

Its done!!! happy enough with the finish few little bits could have spent a bit more time on but there is a certain limit to spend on a 17 yo car:) needs a good valet and a few bits to put back on her.

Enjoy

-VB-

More Pics!!!!!

-vb-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Nice Carina Volvoboy, can I ask what attracts you to them ?

I know everyone has a "thing" for certain cars, but why does the Carina float your boat ?

Do not have a clue! Its just one of those things:rolleyes:

MORE PICS!!

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Looking good VB ;)

Go the whole 9 yards - get all the rubber/plastic trim dressed including the tyres. Also get yourself some new perspex number plates. Clean the glass. Once you do that it's gonna be a minter.

Post more photos as you go................

Great project post.

Well done!

Thanks:) i'm happy with the outcome, even better knowing that it's my own doing, it took 23 hours, €200 for materials and paint, and alot of hard graft.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice to see it looking so well. Looks like it was originally a NI/UK import. 1.6 Irish models didn't have electric windows, mirrors or sunroof at the time.

My old man had a 1992 2.0 GLi liftback in the same colour many years ago. It was one of the last of that type before the Carina E was launched. I have fond memories of that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Do you have any interest in the older Carinas? IMO I always thought the original Carina II (T150 '83-'87) looked better:
    t15-6.jpg
    My uncle used to have one ('86 GL saloon) back when I was a punk kid - I used to think the door handles integrated into the arm rests were so cool! :) I checked the reg of it on cartell.ie when it was free and it hadn't been taxed since 1995, so I guess it's long gone. I still see a few around - not half as much as your ones though.

The late '70s Carina (A40 series - back when the Carinas they sold here were actual Carinas!) also looked pretty sweet. There always used to be a white one in Kilkee (saw it there as late at 2002). I always found the original dealer sticker on the rear windscreen displaying a 2-digit phone number quite amusing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

beautiful job VB, fantastic effort on your part, fantastic results, we had a 1990 Carina II 2.0 GLi 5dr HB a few years back, beautiful white colour and gorgeous alloys, I miss it in ways.

Advertisement