Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 mods...

Options
  • 15-04-2007 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

As in title, anyone here using their .223 with a mod?

I handled a Tikka with T8 fitted last week & thought it was waaaay oversized for this relatively small calibre. I know it does its job but surely something smaller like a T4 or ASE would be more than adequate.

So, anyone using a T8/T4/ASE/PES or similiar, speak up now!! It's time to quieten the beast :D .

BTW, it's for my T3 Tactical (EBR :D )which is factory threaded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What exactly is your concern? Extra weight, how it looks, balance, performance?

If you are target shooting from prone or off a bench then it doesn'y matter what your rifle weighs or looks like as long as you can hit the mark.

If is for hunting then most moderators will add extra weight, upset the balance and ruin the look of a rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You proably have the 20in barrel then.Is it actual can size that is the problem or width of the can[IE is it interfering with your scope view]??

Bad news is you cant jdo much because of the scientific formula that decides the volume of the can to the calibre type.IE it has to absorb somhow the air being pushed out of the barrel by the bullet,the exploding gas behind the bullet,and cool this as well.So the can has a [usually] an open chamber then baffles/and or sound deadning materials.
    223/5.56 ammo produces a Hell of a lot of burnt gas that needs cooling.
    Putting a smaller can on wont sort out the problem,it will proably also damage the can
    This has been a problem with suppressing this round since Vietnam times .
    There have been countless designs for rifles bolt action and semi auto that have tried to allievate this.Some sucessful some so so.Some brilliant feats of engineering;one had a two stage,overpressure valve made by MAC ,the company that made the MAC 10 sub gun
    If you look at pics from then and to now the cans are almost half as long as the rifle barrel,or as the trend today is short and fat.

So basically as we are not in the US and it is nigh enough impossible to export a good can from over there. Choices are;
    short and fat,or long and thin.:( Could always see if Tikka makes a totally suppressed mod for LEO use.But then it is a bitch to get as a civvie.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

yes, have a t3 tac 223 with t8 mod, works very well, makes an already heavy gun even heavier and more bulky but worth it, super accurate rifle. what is it you want to know??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

ASE utra are great mods and probably the most compact S5 model i think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The S5 and T8 effect balance and handling in very simialr ways.

The T8 is longer overall but most of the length is behind the muzzle. The S5 actually adds more in overall length to the gun. There is only about 70 grams in the difference in weight between the 2.

So try before you buy is the best advice anyone could offer you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You proably have the 20in barrel then.

Nope, went for the 24"..............extra few FPS for some long range work ;) .
    Vegeta wrote:
    So try before you buy is the best advice anyone could offer you.

In an ideal world, 100% agree. Unfortunately, we're not very well serviced here so all I can hope for is the experience of others. Tried several dealers now & none had anything of interest in stock :( .
    yes, have a t3 tac 223 with t8 mod, works very well, makes an already heavy gun even heavier and more bulky but worth it, super accurate rifle. what is it you want to know??

Yep, it's bulky enough as is so suppressing it ain't goint to help, weight, looks or handling wise. Some of the land on which I shoot has quite a few new houses nearby &, unfortunately, I've heard of some "discontent" about the report from my Tac. The landowners couldn't care less but I'd rather not upset the newly resettled townies, for the time being at least :D .

OK, any problems fitting the bush for the T8 on your Tac? I ask as, as you know, the Tactical has a tapered barrell which widens towards the muzzle.

Did/will the bush damage/mark the phosphatized barrell? I won't always be using the mod & don't want any "ring" mark on the barrell.

Any corrosion problems with the T8? Biggest drawback of the T8 is the inability to strip it IMO.

Basically guys, I've handled a T3 with T8 fitted & thought it was waaaaaaay overkill for the round. Obviously, it does its job but if I could get away with a T4 or ASE, I'd rather the smaller can.

On the other hand, I suppose with a T8, I'd have the option of using it on the .243 later in the year (although I'm thinking T3 Tactical in .308 now :eek: ).

The Tac is ridiciuosly accurate. Ragged one hole 3 shot groups @ 100yrds & I've put 5 inside 2" @ just over 300yrds (3 of the 5 near enough an inch :eek: ).

Anyone know any dealers who would have the T4 or ASEs in stock for a look?

Finally, anyone have a source for heavier .223 rounds? Struggling to get anything above 55gn locally & I want some 70gn+ stuff to really stretch her legs out to 500+ yrds.

As always, thanks for the input guys :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

the t8 is very prone to rust, speeshly round the crown, ive taken to smearing the recess with gun grease to combat it, i have put a strip of insulting tape at the spot where the bush sits to stop the barrel marking, i did find that it only shoots well with certain brands of ammo, im using hornady vmax 55gr at the min and they brilliant at any range(within reason). now a mate of mine has a t4 on his tac and has no prob with it but we have never tested them side by side and another buddy has a t3 with the fluted barrel and ase mod and is having terrible accuracy problems at the min, he is switching scope from schmidt&bender to nightforce but i have a feeling its something to do with the mod coz the s&b scope was fine on his 6.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

the t8 is very prone to rust, speeshly round the crown, ive taken to smearing the recess with gun grease to combat it, i have put a strip of insulting tape at the spot where the bush sits to stop the barrel marking....

sixpointfive,
    are you not concerned with offending others,
    with your use of insulting tape.......

:D:p:D
    Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

67 grain remingtons and 70 grain hornadys in griffin hawe at the mo,what about a stainless steel pes mod??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

.243 wrote:
    67 grain remingtons and 70 grain hornadys in griffin hawe at the mo,what about a stainless steel pes mod??

Must take a spin to Athy so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Picked up some 75gn Hornady BTHP match stuff in Galway yesterday. I'm told it flys great from the Tikkas so looking forward to trying it.

Although Brian thought he had an ASE in stock, he couldn't find it. Still, had a good natter in the shop & the weather was great up west :D .

Advertisement