Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High powered green lasers?

Options
  • 15-04-2007 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Anyone know if a green laser pointer around the 100mW mark is legal to possess in Ireland? I haven't been able to find any information online and supposedly lasers of that power require a license/permit in some countries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Taken from the Irish Astronomy website:
    Word of caution: a 50Mw laser 'pointer' may fall within the classification of a firearm because of the sweeping definition in the current version of the Firearms Act, specifically because it may be capable of causing physical harm (temporary blindness or sight impairment) at a distance. In that case importing or being in possession of one without an appropriate license would constitute a criminal offence.

Some nice info here that might be useful:

Irish Astronomy Discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cheers! Exactly what I was looking for...exactly what I was NOT hoping to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've used a 70w one before... wow, absolutely amazing! Especially at night, and even more so during a foggy night! It would light matches on fire, and burst baloons :)!
    ...alas, I also burned a tiny little mark into the back of my retina! woohoo!!

If you were looking to get one for Airsoft, it's inadvisable, because even in daylight, the beam is clearly visable from the viewpoint of whomever your pointing it at.

Few months back now, got a nice oul chase off the garda helicopter one night because of my mate having his out. It wasn't very smart mind, but ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If a laser like this was ordered online would customs stop it?

I know of two getting through without issue, boxes from one particular company are marked as "portable light" or some such device. I hadn't known they were illegal, absolutely amazing though!
    They'll burn your skin if held steady on one point for a few seconds, depending on how far away, a few inches at most unless subject and laser are extremely steady. Only feels like a pinprick though.

I ordered a <15mw one years ago for a friend, before we could afford anything higher, got hit with a €50 c.o.d. charge at my door. Probably customs. Different company though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Hey,

I was thinking of buying one around the 50mw mark... Is that powerful or any good? ... but anyway, Im a bit worried after reading this thread about a firearm and customs...Not so much the firearm bit, Im just afraid that i might not get it in..or get in trouble. Would i be safe getting one off ebay? I bought some iron oxide off ebay before and that got in ok... God knows what that looked like in the xray or whatever...

Anything from This crowd is recommended. You can get a 15, 35 and 55mw in the executive series. Their guides exaggerate slightly, about what each power level can do. Either or, I can only recommend the 55mw one it seems, getting anything above is possible, but do it at your own risk.

P.S. Anyone who is gonna get one, DO NOT point it at someones face. These are not like the red lasers, you can do serious damage. I have a blurry spot just below the centre of vision on my left eye. Although I'm used to it, it can be quite bothersome at times. It happened with about a half second exposure. Also, don't point it down the lens of a camera to try and get some cool shot, you'll completely wreck the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Thats great... But will it be all legal the 55mw? Would it be allowed to be posted in?

Sorry to hear bout that eye thing.. Sounds bad, I will Be VERY careful with mine!!

I don't think you'll run into trouble getting any of the lasers from WickedLasers. As I said in a previous post, they mark it as something general like "pocket light" or something similar, customs won't really go near it. I know of two that have gone through without issue, though that is no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

These look very cool indead. Im going to wait till next pay day and buy one. How much would it work out in euro with delivery and all included?

• Advertisement

Back a year ago the 75mw was just over €200 delivered. Long exposure pictures of these things are deadly! :D Will put up a few pics now when I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 needle_too

o1s1n wrote:
    Anyone know if a green laser pointer around the 100mW mark is legal to possess in Ireland? I haven't been able to find any information online and supposedly lasers of that power require a license/permit in some countries.
    I'd love to be able to help you but it appears you only want answers that suit you.

Tell me what answer you want to hear and I'll repeat it back for you, ok?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Lads lets keep this thread civil please

• Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

needle_too wrote:
    I'd love to be able to help you but it appears you only want answers that suit you.

Tell me what answer you want to hear and I'll repeat it back for you, ok?

WTF are you on about? I warn you in another forum for posting rubbish on the verge of trolling and what, you're going to stalk my other comments? That's just creepy and bizarre. If you have a problem with me either keep it to PM or Feedback. Don't go messing in other forums.

Sorry about that TCP/IP.

Don't worry thehomeofDob, it's not for airsoft. Too dangerous. I wouldn't even use a red laser for fear of getting someone in the eyes. Just for the cool factor at night. I wouldn't have even considered one at the price they usually go for. However, Dealextreme are selling them for very cheap. I've heard report that they're decent enough too.Here's a link for anyone that's interested. http://dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.911
    $66 for a 50mw. $110 for a 150mw. I'm still unsure about the legality however. So be warned. Another thing to watch out with these is they don't have IR filters. So make SURE you're careful. Possibly use eye protection for high powered ones.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ban Needle_too from this forum indefinitiely on my instruction please Mod.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

tuxy wrote: »
    If a laser like this was ordered online would customs stop it?
    Nope - I got my 30mW one inthe post no probs. Description on the package said "Light Pen" althpough it's not a pen at all... Just looks like one...

Advertisement