Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much French Will i Need

• 15-04-2007 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Greetings fellow Boarders....

I am travelling to France next month on the 1st leg of my European adventure. Now, i did French in school for like 5 years, and all i can remember are the basics, like hello how are u etc etc!!! i have bought myself a phrase book and started studying it. What i would like to know is.....

I'll be spending like a month in France, will i need a very good grasp of the language to survive that long there? it's mostly hostels i will be staying in

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I went to France for 5 months with only my basic french and tbh that was enough. They will help you if you use the french that you have and you will be surprise how much you will actually pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Contrary to popular belief (mostly racist ****e perpetrated by the English and Americans) the French people are actually very friendly and helpful to tourists.....but NOT if you're an obnoxious tourist who insists on speaking english though (and rightly so). I've seen english speakers go up to people in france and ask their first question in English! (not even an "excusez moi, parlez vous francais?)...of course they're gonna get rebuffed. Then i'd ask people a question in my basic french, and they'd be all over me, taking out maps, walking me to bus stops and everything.

If you honestly speak your basic FRENCH to the best of your ability, you will get a warm reception. Just jump in the deep end and get going. Always say 'Bonjour' and use the polite 'vous' form for speaking.

My advice, dont speak a word of english....you did learn French for 5 years afterall. Speak it everyday and everywhere in France, don't resort to english...unless you're dying in Hospital and need to communicate to the doctor.

p.s. Ive been here in Seoul for 11 months and only have a Korean vocabulary of about 10 words, but thats enough to survive (hello, goodbye, please, how much, i want to eat that please, sorry, I dont speak korean, Bucheon subway station please). Nobody expects me to be fluent, but the fact that i make un effort to speak their language, no matter how ****e my pronunciation, i get a warm reception. Have a nice time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

ul survive perfectly with that much french, and will probably notice your french improving in the month ur there. on another note are you working there? i hope to get a job in france for the summer its proving difficult though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

just remember that when they ask tu es anglais ? you reply non, je suis irlandais

the fact that you are irish and OBVIOUSLY hate the brits as much as them will get you respect. :D Hell it worked for me and my french sucks

Advertisement