Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generally Strange

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Soldie wrote: »

From same article
    Between 1993 and 1995, various newspapers and magazines published accounts that Abd-al-Aziz ibn Abd-Allah ibn Baaz, who was at the time the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, had said that the Earth is flat. Baz strongly denied that claim, describing the allegation as a "pure lie" and saying that he only denied Earth's rotation.

LOL, you couldn't make this nonsense up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol, brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I visited the Flat Earth Society's website and in the FAQ it reveals that 80% of its members do not believe the Earth is flat.

In other news:

"Apes are just creatures twisted by Satan to mock Jesus by giving
    EVILolition credibility. Further more they are naturally lust crazed
    for human women. Since they are not natural creatures they should be
    exterminated forthwith as the tools of evil they are."

original source below

http://blogs4brownback.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/good/#comments

:confused: poor monkeys

Also this list (probably posted before):
    http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:http%3A//www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx%3Farchive%3D1

Some of my faves:

"Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb" [re: mental disabilities]

"There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least."

"I often debate with evolutionists because I believe that they are narrow mindedly and dogmatically accepting evolution without questioning it. I don't really care how God did what He did. I know He did it"

"There is not a single passage or concept in the Bible that would be offensive to any human on the planet."

"If the Bible is wrong when it tells us it is infallible, then it contradicts itself. If it contradicts itself, then it is unreliable. If it is unreliable, then our faith is totally shattered and Christianity is a lie. You need to seriously reconsider your logic."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Galvasean wrote: »
    That link had a recent, no doubt welcome airing in the Christianity forum!

My fav:
    I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie

Ten thousand spoons, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Something from the Young Creation Scientist of the Year.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

well, not really, but it would be a winner if they actually held such an event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Dades wrote: »
    That link had a recent, no doubt welcome airing in the Christianity forum!

My fav:
    I can sum it all up in three words: Evolution is a lie

Ten thousand spoons, anyone?

Personally I'm rather fond of this;

"What does a functioning brain have to do with the Bible?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The sad tale of a man who has a religious experience. Near Shannon. In a cockpit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7217977.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

robindch wrote: »
    The sad tale of a man who has a religious experience. Near Shannon. In a cockpit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7217977.stm

If he wanted to have a religious experience he should have diverted to Knock, what's he going to get in Shannon?

If he wanted to have a religious experience he should have diverted to Knock, what's he going to get in Shannon?
    Classic, it is a pity the funniest poster thread is locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

Is it true that the box containing the bones of St Theresa that toured around Ireland several years ago really only contained the left overs of a kintucky fried chicken snack box meal. We were conned!!!

_1342830_casket_300.jpg

EDIT: Forgot about the Generally Strange thread!

^^ Moved! ^^

Had to check if it was April the first before posting this:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/04/wteapot104.xml
    Woman jailed for 'worshipping tea pot'
    A sharia court in Malaysia jailed a woman for joining a "tea-pot worshipping" cult.

Kamariah Ali, a 57 year old former teacher, was arrested in 2005 when the government of the Muslim majority country demolished the two storey high sacred tea pot and other infrastructure of the "heretical" Sky Kingdom cult. Kamariah Ali, who was born Muslim, had been jailed once before for abandoning her religion For the eccentric sect, which emphasised ecumenical dialogue between religions, the tea pot symbolized the purity of water and "love pouring from heaven".

But in Malaysia, despite constitutional guarantees of freedom of worship, born Muslims such as Mrs Ali are forbidden from converting to other religions.

Passing sentence, the Sharia judge Mohammed Abdullah said: "The court is not convinced that the accused has repented and is willing to abandon any teachings contrary to Islam. I pray God will open the doors of your heart, Kamariah." Mrs Ali has already been jailed once for apostasy, for 20 months in 1992.

"This has to stop. They can't be sending her again and again to prison for this," her lawyer, Sa'adiah Din, told reporters. "She informed the court that she is not a Muslim. She doesn't come under Sharia court anymore."

The case underlines the dissatisfaction of non-Muslim Malaysians, who make up just under half the population, ahead of the country's most contentious election in a generation this Saturday. Yet analysts say gerrymandering, vote buying, press censorship and a virtual ban on opposition rallies make the government unbeatable. Last year 31,000 people over 100 years old were found on the electoral register. They were alleged "phantom voters", who have helped keep the ruling coalition in power since independence 50 years ago.

The population is divided between Hindus of Indian origin, Christian and Buddhist ethnic Chinese and a narrow majority of ethnic Malays who are legally deemed Muslim by birth and whose interests the government is sworn to protect. Last autumn a protest by Hindus, angered by perceived discrimination such as the demolition of temples, was broken up with tear gas and water canon.

The community has long standing grievances. In one emotional case, the first Malaysian to climb Mt Everest -Maniam Moorthy- was declared a Muslim after his death and given a Muslim burial, to the consternation of his original Hindu community. Last week Christian churches made a rare political intervention, urging voters to choose candidates who support freedom of worship. Christians have suffered several seizures of bible shipments by customs authorities in recent months.

The rise of sharia law in parallel to the civil code has alarmed both minority faiths, and spawned several controversial judgements in cases of religious conversion and interfaith marriage. The Malaysian government has been implicated in several corruption scandals in recent months and is blamed for a struggling economy.

Analysts say the politicisation of religion in the country is a complex phenomenon but cite among its causes the government's need to draw dissatisfied Muslim voters away from the relatively radical Islamic opposition.

...so, the subversive teapot bit the dust. Russell would not have approved.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/02/wteapot02.xml
    Bulldozers tear down giant religious teapot
    A religious commune in Malaysia's Muslim heartland that worshipped a bizarre collection of structures including a giant teapot, vase and umbrella was being torn down yesterday.

About 40 workers with bulldozers and lorries destroyed the "subversive" teapot and other symbols of the pan-religious Sky Kingdom, in Terengannu state. An assembly hall, a concrete boat and a temple-like structure that was under construction were also demolished. About 30 members of the commune watched but did not intervene.
    Members and visitors to the commune believe that water from the teapot, which poured into the giant vase, held purifying powers. They follow the teaching of Ariffin Mohammed, 65, better known as Ayah ("Master") Pin, who holds that every religion is equally valid and that anyone can find his or her own path to God. His settlement has been a popular destination for Muslim, Chinese and Indian Malaysians, as well as foreign tourists.

The main problem for the authorities was that, as a Muslim, Ayah Pin committed the heresy of claiming to have a direct link to the Almighty, bypassing the Prophet Mohammed.
    Malaysia is traditionally a liberal Islamic state and the commune has been sanctioned for 30 years. But in recent years Islamic parties have grown in strength and the government has bowed to the wishes of the activists among them.

Apostasy is illegal for Muslims, although the raid was carried out on the grounds that inappropriate buildings had been constructed on agricultural land. Religious police raided the compound twice last month and nearly 50 of its members are due in an Islamic court this week, charged with deviation.
    A mob of robed zealots, popularly believed to have the authorities' approval, also descended on the compound and set fire to its icons.

Ayah Pin's aide, Tunku Muda Tunku Abdullah, said: "Ayah Pin has communication with Sky Kingdom - that is God."
    Sitting on the porch of his wooden home before the demolition, he said: "Ayah Pin does not care about race or religion. He just wants to bring people together. There is no restriction on practising your own faith and at the same time belonging in the Sky Kingdom."

In nearby Kampung Batu 13 - the name means "13th stone village" and derives from the British colonial practice of describing locations by the number of mile markers from the nearest post office - a rubber plantation owner who would not give his name said he was a frequent visitor to the compound and that most people there were well-educated professionals.
    "When you come out you come back with inner peace," he said.

Some analysts believe that action was taken against the group because its growing profile was posing awkward questions of Malay identity, a touchstone issue in a racially diverse country where Malays hold political power but Chinese, about a quarter of the population, dominate the economy. But the religious authorities fully approve of the state's actions. Haji Mohammed bin Junoh, the imam of the largest mosque in the area, said: "Pin is a deviationist. It is possible that he is dealing with Satan."

In one emotional case, the first Malaysian to climb Mt Everest -Maniam Moorthy- was declared a Muslim after his death and given a Muslim burial, to the consternation of his original Hindu community.
    He won't complain if he gets his virgins. :pac:

Thanks Robin - that was an eye-opener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

holy ****, is this the proof we've all been waiting for that the teapot actually exists?

and they've torn it down?!

now I know how the jews feel about the wailing wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Not quite "Hazards of Belief" - anything generally strange and religiously (or anti-religiously) motivated.

Mostly just to file this: woooh.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I think I just had a seizure when I openmed that website.
    wtf?
    Serious brainwashing there.

That intro, I taught I was watching the trailer for the Sarah Connor Chronicles...

Good music though. :cool:

Zamboni wrote: »
    Not quite "Hazards of Belief" - anything generally strange and religiously (or anti-religiously) motivated.

Mostly just to file this: woooh.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I think I just had a seizure when I openmed that website.
    wtf?
    Serious brainwashing there.

Actually, maybe I should have put an epilepsy warning on that one.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The Vatican are negotiating to open a religious outlet in Saudi Arabia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7302378.stm

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The Vatican are negotiating to open a religious outlet in Saudi Arabia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7302378.stm

What could possibly go wrong?

From the article :
    BBC wrote:
    Reciprocity

Although he made clear the outcome was uncertain, the archbishop added that a church in Saudi Arabia would be an important sign of "reciprocity" between Muslims and Christians.

Reciprocity? I'm confused ... the Vatican have are offering to open a mosque in the Vatican City in return?

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    From the article :
    Reciprocity

Although he made clear the outcome was uncertain, the archbishop added that a church in Saudi Arabia would be an important sign of "reciprocity" between Muslims and Christians.

Reciprocity? I'm confused ... the Vatican have are offering to open a mosque in the Vatican City in return?

With a bit of work, the Vatican could become as bitterly divided as Jerusalem.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Citing a lack of biblical guidance, South Africa's Calvinists get their heads around oral sex:

http://www.capeargus.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4304713
    Demand for Christian sex magazine soars

Demand for an Afrikaans sex magazine that targets married, Christian women and shatters prissy Calvinistic stereotypes has increased so much that an English version will hit the shelves next month. The launch edition of Intimacy - which features lap-dancing, submission and a tricky question about parental sex on the cover - follows a 300% growth in demand for Intiem magazine, which was launched in 2006.

"We strive to empower Christian women not to feel guilty for enjoying this God-given pleasure which is sex, but rather to embrace it," said managing editor Liezel van der Merwe. Writing on sex from a Christian perspective had been a difficult challenge, with sex and religion both highly sensitive topics and few guidelines in the Bible, said Van der Merwe.

"You won't find any information on, say, masturbation, oral sex or how to spice up your sex life in the Bible. So the only thing one can do is to take the general guidelines that were given to us and apply it to the best of our knowledge and with guidance from the Holy Spirit."

Readers reacted positively from the start despite the team having braced itself for criticism from religious sources. Some of the most loyal readers were ministers, sexologists and conservative readers and more than a third were men. An online sex shop (www.intiem.co.za) had also been very successful. Each magazine issue also offered a choice of "mild to hot" toys to spice up readers' sex lives, which are encouraged for use with partners.

"Sex shops are not women-friendly places and lots of women still see them as sleazy and 'dark'. We aimed to provide a friendly place from where women could order toys without having to pluck up the courage to visit one of these places," Van der Merwe said. The quarterly Afrikaans version, which has a 30 000 distribution run and a LSM 8-10 readership, will be translated and adapted for English-speakers to appeal to a multicultural audience. The original target market's readiness for a controversial, niche publication had been underestimated, she said

"While we believed that it was only Afrikaans women from a Calvinistic upbringing who had a need for a magazine which speaks openly and freely about sex, we soon came to realise that this was not the case. This was the obvious next step."

The magazines were not Christian publications, but written from a Christian perspective, she clarified. This meant monogamy was endorsed and marital affairs condemned. And while experiments with oral sex might be encouraged, no articles written for gay couples would ever be found. Readers were left to choose what they felt comfortable with, from their religious perspectives, in the covering of topics such as submission in marriage.

"We believe that if a sex act stays within a marriage, is shared by only husband and wife, and both of them are comfortable with and enthusiastic about doing whatever they are doing, it can only be beneficial to the marriage. And this is what God wants for us."

Health officials in the Philippines have issued a warning to people taking part in Easter crucifixion rituals.
    They have urged them to get tetanus vaccinations before they flagellate themselves and are nailed to crosses, and to practise good hygiene.

On Good Friday dozens of very devout Catholics in the Philippines re-enact the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

From the BBC

http://www.mangalife.com/reviews/MangaMessiah.htm

Okay, this is seriously cool. i think

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5012/5012_01.asp

More Christian comics. These things are actually very good.

oh and *bump*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Galvasean wrote: »
    http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5012/5012_01.asp

More Christian comics. These things are actually very good.

oh and *bump*

You know I never had an interest in the whole Harry Potter thing. It just seemed a rip off of so many other stories that I read growing up. But after reading that! What have I been missing?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/13_undercover&id=6085999

that's the kind of christian education I can get behind.

News just in Florida:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/custom/fringe/orl-bk-topless-woman-041708,0,1525944.story
    Topless woman tells DeLand police God told her to direct traffic

DeLand - A 30-year-old woman caused quite a commotion Wednesday evening when she decided to direct traffic at a DeLand intersection.

Rather than keeping traffic flowing through the intersection of W. Euclid and S. Orange avenues, the woman was creating a bit of a hazard, police said, because she was topless. The DeLand Police Department received a number of calls about 7 p.m. and responded to find the woman "foaming at the mouth and talking to herself," according to a police report.

The DeLand woman told police that God told her to direct traffic. She was taken to an area hospital for a mental evaluation.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKL2290323220080422?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews
    KINSHASA (Reuters) - Police in Congo have arrested 13 suspected sorcerers accused of using black magic to steal or shrink men's penises after a wave of panic and attempted lynchings triggered by the alleged witchcraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Ha! Another instance of penis panic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis_panic

Actually I'm due to visit Kinshasa later this year. And I thought all I had to worry about was gunfire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I think those stories have been doing the rounds for years. Or at least periodically cropping up again.

May have been covered - demon-puking.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think those stories have been doing the rounds for years. Or at least periodically cropping up again.

The internet is a universe unto itself; they just keeping coming back around every couple years like comets.

s There a Correlation Between Atheism And Being Butt Ugly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well... you're an atheist... you tell us. :)

Hey! how come they did me twice!

Britain's first interfaith game show is to be launched, pitting Jews against Muslims, Sikhs against Christians and Hindus against Buddhists, with contestants competing for cash prizes.

Full article here!

Maybe they can get the Westboro Baptists on

Awesome! Do A&A get a team?
    Better yet; Atheists v Agnostics: GrudgeMatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7427105.stm
    _44701928_logos_bbc226i.jpg

US coffee chain Starbucks has come under fire for a new logo that critics say is offensive and overly graphic.

The Resistance, a US-based Christian group, has called for a national boycott of the coffee-selling giant.

It says the chain's new logo has a naked woman on it with her legs "spread like a prostitute... The company might as well call themselves Slutbucks".

Hilarious, those Christians are so scared that seeing a cartoon nipple of a mermaid will turn people into raging sex maniacs that they are actually bothering to protest about it. It reminds me of John Ashcroft covering the partially nude statue of the Spirit of Justice in the US Justice Dept.

Looking at the Starbucks logo I don't think the Christian group has much to worry about. I will not be any more inclined to buy coffee in any of their stores nor am I in the least bit tempted to go out and have sex with a mythical human/fish hybrid species.

P.S. I wonder who came up with the nickname "Slutbucks" to use? Starf*cks would have been much better. Starsucks maybe?

• Advertisement

it was fox news own trisha takanawa (i don't actually remember her name, but she's the token fox asian chick) that wrote the blog that sparked this all off. If you're watching fox news, and you see an angry hot asian chick that's her. she's just awesome.

Hilarious, those Christians are so scared that seeing a cartoon nipple of a mermaid will turn people into raging sex maniacs that they are actually bothering to protest about it.
    Reminded me of the Proctor and Gamble logo scare years ago. Anyhow, looks like the boys in The Resistance have got a thing going for the Georgia Guidestones too:

http://www.theresistancemanifesto.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=34

JC would be proud of 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Nobody really knows who the man is that went into the Elberton Granite Company that day

And yet the 'resistance' seem to know so very much. The word sound "Hmmm!" springs to mind.

Viva la resistanánce!

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Goths confess to having sex in church
    We are atheists and for us, having sex in church is like doing it any other place.

Story posted by PDN in the "Hazards" thread.

Tsk tsk cavedave for not reading every thread in A/A! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

"Hanuman, the popular Hindu monkey god revered for his strength and valour, has been named official chairman of the new Sardar Bhagat Singh College of Technology and Management in northern India, a school official said today."

more here

for some reason i imagined those running a business school to have a modicum of intelligence

growler wrote: »
    for some reason i imagined those running a business school to have a modicum of intelligence
    To be fair, Hanuman does have a monkey army, which might be useful at fundraisers.

For all the Rapture-bunnies, here's a postal service which will deliver to friends and loved ones after True Believers have been raptured into the beyond.

http://www.postrapturepost.com/

Run by atheists and I assume it's cash up front.

Buy a talking Jesus. Comes with "authentic linen robes" and trad sandals.

https://www.buytalkingjesus.com/?cid=544908

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

For all the Rapture-bunnies, here's a postal service which will deliver to friends and loved ones after True Believers have been raptured into the beyond.

http://www.postrapturepost.com/

Run by atheists and I assume it's cash up front.
    Quality.

MrP

• Advertisement
Advertisement