Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB refused me credit card!

Options
  • 15-04-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I have a student credit card with AIB and now i'm out of college a while and in full-time employment I wanted to get a standard card and get rid of the funny looking student one. So rang AIB and asked them if I could transfer it to a standard credit card, they sent me out application, and I got a letter out to say no! Wouldn't mind I have a credit limit of €3300 on my student card and the minimum on the AIB Be Card is €2000 so I don't understand as well as the fact that the amount of money coming into my bank account is much higher than what was when i was approved for a student card and I always paid my bill in full and on time! Can anyone recommend a bank to switch to that will gimme a card, as I'm not staying with AIB if I can't even get a standard credit card out of them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

a) have to you asked them why?

b) how would we know which bank *will* give you a card. We've know way of knowing you financial backround, credit record or any thing else relevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

kevinmcc wrote:
    .....I have a credit limit of €3300 on my student card ....

:eek:

the max credit limit for my college card was €650!! How did you manage to swing 3k limit??

As previous poster suggested just ask them why! If you make over 30k try going for Ulster Banks Zinc card or the Halifax plastic card, they both have sub 10% rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

to be honest banks dont refuse issuing credit cards for no reason , they even gave me one with a not too rosy credit history 2 years ago so there as to be something here

do you have other loans etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Do you have some form of an income? Do you have previous unpaid debt???

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I had a friend have something similar happen. He was eventually told that the reason he was refused was that he still had the student card from AIB as well, and they couldn't authorise two cards from the same bank. He was in the same position as you, he rang to get rid of the student card and get a normal one, but they just ignored that part and treated it as though it was to have two cards at the same time. Contact them and ask if they realised you wanted to cancel the student one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As was pointed out above it was probably a mix-up due to your still having another card. The AIB credit card application checks are probably done without any contact to anyone else. A few years ago I had credit card applications turned down by a UK based application checking center because I didn't have a postcode and the address didn't state a house number.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Pretty certain I know the reason for this. Same thing happened to me. They base part of their decision on the cashflow through your account over the last 6-9 months. I was initially refused a credit card when I had just started working. My account had been bare during previous months when I was at college.

Couple of months later, with a few salaries in my account, I applied again and had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

jackbhoy wrote:
    :eek:

the max credit limit for my college card was €650!! How did you manage to swing 3k limit??...

re: AIB Student MasterCard
    if you use online banking there is a button at the top of the statement that says Request Limit Increase or similar, same in online banking, but you can only request every 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

vector wrote:
    re: AIB Student MasterCard
    if you use online banking there is a button at the top of the statement that says Request Limit Increase or similar, same in online banking, but you can only request every 6 months

Its a very dangerous button!! very dangerous!! it should have "do not use except in case of emergency" on iti'm up to 6500 on my student card as it let me raise my limit 6 times in one day!! not sure how that happened but i just pressed it to raise my limit, did it again etc. i usually have a hundred or sitting on it any one time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

LOL try clicking the button now even twice in a row and it says

We regret it is not possible to provide you with an increased limit at present as it is less than six months since your last request.

• Advertisement
Advertisement