Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk & Cycle Journey Planner

Options
  • 15-04-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

For any of you guys living in Dublin. This is a handy tool for planning your cycle journey around the city.

http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm

Regards

Shaymo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - although not so good for longer cycles - it's had a tendancy to lead me along suicidal routes in the past so take its advice with a beach of salt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Shaymoboy wrote:
    For any of you guys living in Dublin. This is a handy tool for planning your cycle journey around the city.
    Have you actually used it?

There's nothing in the programming to take account of the needs of cyclists.

In the case of my work commute it offers a route with way too many street changes and tries to route me down streets that I know are choked with cars from kerb to kerb.

If it were to be of any use, it would need to take account of the presence of cycle tracks that have been certfied as complying with the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Shaymoboy

I guess what it is really needed is a planner with all the cycle paths in Dublin. That said, the only decent cycle path I am aware of is the fairview/clontarf/dollymount one.

Shaymoboy wrote:
    I guess what it is really needed is a planner with all the cycle paths in Dublin. That said, the only decent cycle path I am aware of is the fairview/clontarf/dollymount one.
    Problem is that the councils don't know where the paths are and have no statistics for their physical or legal condition.

Fairview/Clontarf/Dollymount is slowly degrading. It's not properly lit at night and new developments have include placing pedestrian seating in such a way that you'd nearly run over people's toes if you kept to the left of the track and also parking in Clontarf that allows extra long cars to park their rears on the cycle track.

The section from Dollymount causeway to Sutton, has big problems with littre-bins, steps and being over-grown with weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The section from Dollymount causeway to Sutton, has big problems with litter-bins, steps and being over-grown with weeds.
    I took a few photos of this stretch exactly one year ago with the intention of contacting Fingal CoCo about its poor state.

I passed by it yesterday and they've gone mad with yellow paint to make stripes at the approaches to breaks in the wall (where pedestrians can enter/exit). Some of the stripes make it difficult to see the manhole covers. :mad:
    If anyone wants to nag FCC about this cycle track, feel free to use my photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That DTO map thing isn't perfect to be sure, but I've often used it to plot out a general idea of how to get to somewhere I'm not familiar with. Kudos to them for having it on the site I say.

Now the substandard bike tracks, that's another issue entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I cycle down the grand canal to Ranelagh, through Ranelagh and up through Clonskeagh to Sandyford everyday (and back again). It's pretty good with cycle tracks the whole way, they're in relatively good state of repair although the red sand is starting to lift. The planner does recommend this route but I think that's by chance.

The route suggested for my girlfriends place of work has little or no cycle tracks.

blorg wrote:
    Kudos to them for having it on the site I say.... Now the substandard bike tracks, that's another issue entirely.
    The DTO is responsible for setting the standards for cycle tracks. Sure that should be their priority, rather than a web gimmick?

Advertisement