Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for any 2nd yr science students

Options
  • 15-04-2007 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey there im in first science doin physics and chemistry, and possibly statistics aswel, and i was just wonderin how the timetable looks for these core's next year? do the contact hours get longer or shorter. In other words, is it gonna become a 9-6 sorta thing?

Comments

When you say Physics, is it Experimental Physics or Math Physics?

I do both of these and I'm in from 9-6 on a Wednesday with a one hour break, but I'm finished at 12 on Friday and I only have 2 lectures on both Tuesday and Thursday. My hours are pretty much on par with 1st year, except that my Physics labs are now 3 hours instead of 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

ye i do experimental physics. i suppose it depends on how ya sort your timetable aswel tho. the only pain in the b*llox is the fact that labs always run in the afternoon. why oh why cant the just have them in the morning so i can go home early!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

Quit now while you can. Physics might be be piss esy in first year, but its terribly boring and hard in second year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Can't comment on physics but in general 2nd year is more hours and a way bigger workload.

Some people may get off a bit easier with certain module combinations but I had 28contact hours in 2nd year, basically in till 6 everyday, later if you stay around to do your reports.

Dontico wrote:
    Quit now while you can. Physics might be be piss esy in first year, but its terribly boring and hard in second year.
    as a matter of fact i might not be stuck with physics after all:D

ive been lookin into gettin into pharmacology somehow for the last few months and i might be doin the modules i need for it that i didnt choose this year as x-year modules and goin into 2nd year pharmacology and chemistry in my 3rd year.

it means im here for an extra year, but hey im only 17 anyway so it doesnt bother me:p plus it means im doin a course id prefer t be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm in third theoretical physics, which is a mix of experimental and mathematical, and have to say that 2nd year exp physics seemed like much more of a trial than this year, which feels much more laid back, except for near the end of term when the lab-deadlines are coming up. However, maths physics is as much of a sh*tstorm as ever...really interesting though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

p-nut wrote:
    ive been lookin into gettin into pharmacology somehow for the last few months and i might be doin the modules i need for it that i didnt choose this year as x-year modules and goin into 2nd year pharmacology and chemistry in my 3rd year.

it means im here for an extra year, but hey im only 17 anyway so it doesnt bother me:p plus it means im doin a course id prefer t be in

That seems a bit strange. I'd imagine you could take 1st year pre-requisites as electives in 2nd year if there weren't timetable clashes and the science programme office allowed it. Remember to get that minimum grade to be eligible to get into the core pharmacology programme.

There's also a risk you would be hit for fees if you do an extra year, would be worth checking out.

Sarn wrote:
    That seems a bit strange. I'd imagine you could take 1st year pre-requisites as electives in 2nd year if there weren't timetable clashes and the science programme office allowed it. Remember to get that minimum grade to be eligible to get into the core pharmacology programme.

There's also a risk you would be hit for fees if you do an extra year, would be worth checking out.
    Apparently theyre called stage x modules or sumthin. its sumthin t do with this whole modular setup afaik. its like a cheat t get away without payin fees:D

With regards to taking the pre requisits in second year, they both run in the second semester so i would be lost in all of the first semester stuff.

Advertisement