Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

science practicals

• 15-04-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok,in school we are doing this now but i dont have a clue what to write.

we are doing :
    1:to investigate how the concentration of a gydrogen peroxide solution afects the spped at which it decomposes to form oxygen.

2:the investigation of the realationship between the lenght of a metalic conducor and its resistance.

ok i was looking for some ideas on number 1 but i could not find anything on it that was not too complicated.

for number 2 i found this i think this will help me i will take some parts from it and use he big words :D

so any links/ideas/advice wellcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Oh we're doing those too. I am trying to write up the experiments but I can't
    remember all the details of doing them! Oh and while I'm here, on coursework B do you have to do page 12? Because I've pretty much covered the procedure on page 11. And do you have to do the graph on page 24? Because I just did a data table on page 23...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Conor108 wrote:
    Oh we're doing those too. I am trying to write up the experiments but I can remember all the details of doing them! Oh and while I'm here, on coursework B do you have to do page 12? Because I've pretty much covered the procedure on page 11. And do you have to do the graph on page 24? Because I just did a data table on page 23...;)

thjem two pages are optional, only if you want,

ive done the physics experiment but not the chemistry one yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

looks like that link i linked was totaly not what i was looking for lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

OP- you have to research it all on your own?in our class[we done the chemistry one -how concentration of hydrogen peroxide affects rate at which oxygen is produced -before easter,doing bio one i think starting tomorrow] we all done it together,but had to write the reports seperatly......it was handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you have to do it on your own (i know you have partner for lab part) but write ups are definitely on your own and in fairness arenot that difficult as its all self explanatory. That oxygen one is tough but the biology one is grand altogether

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

our teacher just wrote the stuff on the board lol:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Well did the whole write it up in the exam hall thing today, twas grand except my diagram kinda sucked:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

man,started bio on mondays double class[didnt do today,teacher wanst in] ....we were in field, counting samples......was even handier than the oyygen one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well I'm not sure if the format of experiments in this new-fangled Science course is any different to the old course, so mods please don't yell at me if I'm wrong ;)

This was the kind of expermient we'd have to write last year:

Title: This is the title of the experiement obv. "To investigate the rate of production of oxygen in proportion to the concentrate of hydrogen peroxide used"

Apparatus: The materials used, e.g. hydrogen peroxide, graduated cylinder, beaker etc.

Procedure: Basically write out what you do step by step, if you have a diagram make the first step "set up apparatus as shown" so you don't have to bother explaining "put X over Y" etc.

Results: This is the second most important bit (have patience! the most important bit is coming up), write down exactly what you observed.

Conclusions: This here's the most important bit, without it then what was the point of the experiement? Write down what you have concluded from the experiment, it'll probably be something painfully obvious like "when the amount of hydrogen peroxide is increased the production of oxygen is faster"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

strongr wrote:
    our teacher just wrote the stuff on the board lol:)

Be prepared for the possibility of no Science grades coming in for your group in September. There was a big problem with copying (or perceived copying) in some centres last year and the results were withheld until an investigation took place.

Whatever corrector gets your centre will soon spot that the reports are all the same and will have to report it. Your teacher should have known that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

spurious wrote:
    Be prepared for the possibility of no Science grades coming in for your group in September. There was a big problem with copying (or perceived copying) in some centres last year and the results were withheld until an investigation took place.

Whatever corrector gets your centre will soon spot that the reports are all the same and will have to report it. Your teacher should have known that.
    Yeh, i'd say we my get done for that aswell if that's the case. Our teacher told us that we weren't allowed to copy and to reword it all, but she also wrote everything on the board. Even if only a few look the same are the results for everyone in the class withheld?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

trogdor wrote:
    Yeh, i'd say we my get done for that aswell if that's the case. Our teacher told us that we weren't allowed to copy and to reword it all, but she also wrote everything on the board. Even if only a few look the same are the results for everyone in the class withheld?

For the centre usually. That may or may not be the whole class.

It's a problem the SEC is going to have to look at. It happens a good bit in lower ability classes, not always because of copying, but due to limited vocabulary etc. many reports look the same. A child who is struggling with Foundation English cannot possibly create a report using the language an Honours English student can, and often teachers of such classes will have issued templates to help them out. Such templates can lead to a lot of similarity in reports. It does not mean the kids did not do the experiments or do not understand what happened in the experiments but their level of English lets them down.

One way to counteract this is to have the teachers involved in the experiments rate the participation level of the kids as part of the mark for the report, but that is fraught with all sorts of other difficulties.

Advertisement