Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Bravia

• 15-04-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

lo

I just got a new sony bravia, when I try and use the HD VGA cable I get picture but no sound if i use the cable that came with the xbox put the switch to HDTV i get sound but no picture

any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Not sure about the HD switch on the standard cable, but the problem with the VGA is that VGA doesn't carry a sound signal, so you need to connect an extra cable for sound output from the xbox to the screen (probably a 2 phono to 2 phono cable) or connect to your surround sound system if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I don't have an Xbox but is there any way of connecting the HD VGA cable along with audio (usually red and white) strands of the Xbox cable (I freely admit that I don't know what type of cable comes with the Xbox).

VGA connections don't carry audio AFAIK.

^^^ Beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i've got audio now with VGA still can't get picture with the standard cable

does the resoloution need to be set to a specific range for the cable or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Sure u have it connected properly? Into component and not into the standard av port, you need to have the red, green and blue connected to the corresponding colors, then the red and white connected too but not the yellow, also make sure that you dont have the red audio cable where the red video should go and visa-versa. Have you ever had picture through this, if you set it to 1080p and your tv doesn't support it you wont get any visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

ntlbell wrote:

What display output have you got your 360 set to? IIRC, some Bravia models won't support anything above 1080i over component.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

ntlbell wrote:

does the resoloution need to be set to a specific range for the cable or?

What I did with my xbox was connect it to my plasma with component (on the standard cable.. connecting the red green and blue cables), then I went into the xbox system settings and changed my display to 1080i or 720p, and then it asked me if I could see the screen.

I answered yes, and then flicked the switch on the standard cable to go to HDTV. The console rebooted and I've had 1080i over the standard component since then.

The picture quality over component is great, so much so that I'm wondering if the VGA cable is necessary? If your VGA is working, then you probably don't need to bother with the standard cable anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Soz for digging up an old thread, but other bravia owners out there - what do you find better?

Personally I'm not particulary happy with either component or VGA. Component is sharp, crisp and vivid yet alot of broken lines. Whilst VGA perfectly smooth, no broken lines, but it suffers from dull, washed out colours and isn't very sharp.

The Forza 2 demo is a great example. Looks like its jumping out of the screen over component, but almost every line on the car model is broken. Try the demo over VGA, the cars look perfectly smooth, but the colours and lack of any sharpness or depth make both car and environment dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Personally I'm not particulary happy with either component or VGA. Component is sharp, crisp and vivid yet alot of broken lines. Whilst VGA perfectly smooth, no broken lines, but it suffers from dull, washed out colours and isn't very sharp.
    You try the new settings for VGA they put in the latest update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You try the new settings for VGA they put in the latest update?

the normal, intermediate, and other thingy? Yeah, and could see no obvious difference on the dashboard anyway

Advertisement