Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build list for a graphics machine

Options
  • 15-04-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the Core 2 gaming machine on Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/k/config.asp?ConfigSystemId=10206. My usage will be primarily graphic design as well as a little gaming, all on linux. I've read some reviews of various components, changed a few and was just wondering what everyone thinks of this:
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
    2. Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB
    3. XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI, 560/1400Mhz
    4. Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, P965, Socket-775, ATX, SATAII, GbLAN, DDR2, 1xPCI-Ex16
    5. Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM

As far as housing and cooling are concerned, I don't really know what I'm at so I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give me. I do know that I'd like the machine to be quiet!

Merlin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id save some money and get a different hard drive! A seagate 500GB is only 126 or there abouts!

That raptor is noisey!

For a quiet case I would go for the antec p180.

There both on komplett.. Im too lazy to get links lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wait for the new 86** series that is coming out in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd replace the existing 7600GT you have with this passive 7600GT instead so you eliminate the noise from the graphics card & stick with NV because of the linux support.

The Raptor well it's fast no doubt about that but I would not call it very noisy you could do it cheaper by building a RAID 0 array if you wanted as obviously HD speed is of matter to you.

For casing the Antec P180 is a favourite among many folks.

PSU get a Seasonic or Tagan anything in the 500W range is more than enough.

For CPU cooling a Zalman 9500 with the fan speed set to the slowest setting will be sufficient to keeps things running without a high level of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

awhir wrote:
    wait for the new 86** series that is coming out in the next few weeks.

I'm beginning to think thats a macro your using :D

Well the 8600 series is almost here which would be reason to wait for some but for the OP from what I gather is an occasional gamer running Linux as well so getting the latest & greatest doesn't make much sense because of driver support and the type of games, a 7600GT is fast enough I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The 8600's were up for sale on Overclockers last week. So they really aren't that far away..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

8T8 wrote:
    the OP from what I gather is an occasional gamer running Linux as well so getting the latest & greatest doesn't make much sense ... a 7600GT is fast enough I imagine.
    I'm happy with the reviews of the 7600. I've been playing HL on a PIII 750Mhz with 320MB of ram so this is more than enough of an upgrade for me. I'll definately get the passive model you mentioned, thanks a million. Didn't know you could get such a thing

As for the hard drive, I've read a little on RAID0 and it seems that it would give me the speed I'm looking for. Do I have to implement it myself, buy a RAID hard drive or get a MOBO with a RAID controller to do this?

Thanks for all the info lads, really glad I posted this!

Merlin

The motherboard you mentioned in your first post comes with a built in RAID controller that supports RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1 which combines both types.

You create the array in the bios, the controller when enabled will have a an extra bios after the motherboard bios loads, then you install the operating system. Most Linux distro's should support the Intel RAID controller out of the box & for Windows you supply a driver during the install procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

you are all saying "wait for the 22nd intel price cut"

why does no1 care about a cheap card that has beeten every ati out atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

If your not into overclocking AMD is now better value the x2 5600+ at 2.80 Ghz is only €190.00 and the x2 6000+ at 3.00Ghz is €229.00.
    I know the e6600 is a great chip but its only 2.40 Ghz and you have to pump up the voltage to get the best out of it so how long will it last ?
    a 10% overclock on the 5600+ at stock voltage will bring it to 3.0Ghz for €190.00. also the mainboards are more mature you know what you are getting into.
    So time to look at AMD again :)

I didn't think that Intel and AMD were directly comparable by their clock speeds though, since the architecture is different. I might look up benchmarks for them and see if I can find anything. If I do, I'll post it up.

If this machine is for work usage I would be wary of overclocking anything as it can be a finicky process unless you know what your doing.

The AMD X2 6000+ is about on par with the Intel Core 2 E6700 though the E6700 is still the faster of the two the E6600 would be a small bit behind. However the X2 6000 draws more power and runs hotter than the E6700.

Anyway that last list you picked looks good, no other suggestions.

Advertisement