Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterpump gone

Options
  • 15-04-2007 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The waterpump in my apartment has gone. Got a plumber out and all he said he could do was fit a new one which would cost 500 euro.
    Would this be covered under homebond, my apartment is only four years old?
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No.

Moved to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

4 years is no time at all ,it was either a cheap pump to start with or you were very unfortunate.
    I had to replace one of those pumps that we had installed 14 years ago ,just lately.

When your plumber installs the pump ,ask him to set it ,so it doesn't come on unless the pressure drops a good bit.
    If it's set to sensitive ,it will keep running every now and again .Everytime the pump activates ,it's regarded as an actuation(regardless of how long for). It only has a certain amount of these in it's lifespan.

Monsoon pumps are good pumps ,also called stuart I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Can you post the make and model number of your pump? .... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

hobie wrote:
    Can you post the make and model number of your pump? .... :confused:
    Monsoon 1.5 bar, twin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Why not just buy the pump and replace it yourself? You can get 1.5 bar pumps in B&Q for around €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ballyman wrote:
    Why not just buy the pump and replace it yourself? You can get 1.5 bar pumps in B&Q for around €250.
    Good point, food for thought, I've two left hands though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The ones you can buy in B&Q come with push on fittings so when you remove the old one it should only be a case of pushing in the fittings for the new one!!

Sounds simple, doesn't it!! But it probably isn't!! What have you got to lose to give it a go anyway, you still have to buy a new pump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The price you were given of 500 ,doesn't sound bad at all.
    I'd seriously suggest getting the switch adjusted to a lower pressure though.

The plumber sounds like he's charging you about 120 euro ,for labour.
    If you do decide to do it yourself ,the main distributor and dealer for monsoon is Modern plant. They are also the service agents for mira.

I wouldn't install anything other than a monsoon pump ,to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

i would get the service engineer out, could simply be a burned out pcb board. Plumbers generally do not want to get parts as its not something in there field to fix if its not a strctly plumbing issue. Would be very very surprised if it could not be serviced! call modern plant naas rd, offical service engineers for stuart turner 01 4591344

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

What have you got to lose
    Water can do a lot of damage and remember you could be held responsible for flooding of other apartments as well.
    This isn't diy unless you are very competant, also make sure your plumber has adequate insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement