Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in plaster of ceiling of upper floor

Options
  • 15-04-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Bad day....

Went up to the loft/attic, and an accidental slip meant my foot went through the ceiling of the first floor. The hole is about 1 feet in diameter, and a part of a timber (whatever it is called - I am a newbie) can be seen.

The plaster is silverish on the side facing the root, for insulation purposes. Now, guys, where can I can definitely get this sort of plaster, if I attempt to fix this myself? And/or what sort of expert should I call for help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

You can get the plaster board in any builder provider with plaster nails, not expensive. You will need to cut the old plaster board to expose more joyces so the new board can be nailed up securely. After that you will need a plasterer as skimming is quite difficult if your not used to doing it, you could try yourself with new ready to go plaster. Another option is floor the attic so this mishap doesn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Where can I get hold of this plasterboard? I'm in D15 btw. Or is there someone I can ring..... Am travelling out of the country soon, so I won't have a lot of time to practise/experiment.....thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres a builders providers on the clonsilla road ,at the back of the shops and chipper.
    You would know it ,theres a set of lights and a T junction facing them.

They should have what your looking for ,get some slab nails aswell.Or use screws if you have a cordless drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Brian is talking about supermikes behind the spar in clonsilla village.
    I've found the guys in there to be helpful.
    Buy a padsaw to cut the hole square back to halfway across a joist so you have a fixing on the edges.
    They can probably explain better standing in front of you.
    While you're there price their attic flooring, i think its 6'*2' chipboard.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Thanks guys, was there in the afternoon and got what I wanted, including an un-used bag of stab nails.

I had to add in an improvised nogging between the joists (yes, I have been reading the DIY book) to hold the replacement piece after a larger hole was cut out. I am now hoping the plastering work is not obvious...

• Advertisement
Advertisement