Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 607

Options
  • 15-04-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was taking a browse through some used cars and I see that you can now get a reletavely decent Peugeot 607 luxury-barge for about €20,000 with reasonable mileage on it.

Though I don't have the money to actually go and get one, I'd like to know more about the car and if anyone has personal experience, if they could put it up here.

A friends' father had one for 3 years, pretty much trouble free apart from the sterro giving up after my friend's little bro thought the casette slot was a place to put 2 euro coins!

What are the running costs? I remember my friend saying that tyres for it cost a bomb as they were quite big.

ANy idea what tax would be like on a 2 litre disesel, as that seems to be the preferred engine in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tax €539 afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If you listen closely to one you can hear it depreciate.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yeah, no resale value, but how bad if your getting it second hand and plan to keep it fro ages anyway...

...which is what I would do if I could buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Look at all the 2 litre "barges" that are 10 years old (or in some cases even younger) going (or rather not going :D ) for less than 4-5 k ...

Five, six years down the line, the 607 is going to be one of them ...thats still 15 k or (most likely) more lost in five/six years. (Never mind the money spent on upkeep inbetween). That's a lorra, lorra money :D

If you want luxo-barge ...buy old, for pocket money, and minimise the risk.

Example:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=528974

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

peasant wrote:

If you want luxo-barge ...buy old, for pocket money, and minimise the risk.

Example:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=528974

Look away from that though(not that one in particular) . The car is awfull heavy , over 1500 kg, and will get in and around 20mpg. plus, why anyone bought this new without leather is beyond me, the car almost had leather as standard, they nearly had to special build them without it. Going on what I can see in the pic (manual seats ) it most likely has single, manual air con aswell.

I got a gret 2.0 one off dmao605 here on boards last year, fully loaded for under €1k. It was a 93 but it was luxury at it's best. I sold it shortly after and bought a 2.5 auto, which is what they all should have been sold as. The car has everything and has the power to move it (170hp ish) which the 2 litre just doesnt have,the car is dog slow .I get better mpg from the 2.5 than I did for the 2, . Although if your looking for something to amble around in, it's grand. But as I said youd get one with leather easy enough , theres a fe won ebay.

Having said all that I really regret selling the 2.0 litre one as it was a great car, my mother would have been better of with that than her clio, she carries around some amount of ****e and the boot of the clio just isnt big enough ( i found a big bag of gravel in there once, that i think she forgot was in there :rolleyes: ), but I wouldnt have felt the same had it had cloth interior and no toys.

That went on a lot longer than i intended. :D was supposed to be a little reply.

Edit, just looking at that, It's the same colour as mine, if I had €2,500 knocking aorund I'd buy it and rape it for parts.(Iv'e a few really bad dings on mine that seem to appear at random when I leave the car somewhere, bastards, one thats a square shape and looks like a square bar was run into the door, as well as my aunts next door neighbour running her car along my rear bumper, daft bint)

• Advertisement

The 607 definately looks better than that Safrane though!

So in 5 years when I have some money (I hope) I can get a 607 for feck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Fabio wrote:
    The 607 definately looks better than that Safrane though!

So in 5 years when I have some money (I hope) I can get a 607 for feck all!

In 5 years the technology in the 607 will ave changes so much it wont be worth your while buying an old one.

True....

I still love it though, for some strnage reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

junkyard is right, it will depreciate so fast you'd miss it, but aside from that it is a fine fine car.

I bought one about 1.5 years ago. Paid a little over the odds for it I'd say, but lesson learned. As a car it's super comfortable. I have the SE spec with leather which is the only spec to get.

It has electric memory seats, dual climate control, laminated and double glazed side windows, electric rear blind, auto dim mirror, a boot you could live in, comfortable suspension, nice to drive, cruise control. To be honest, you'd be left wanting for nothing except xenons and nav, both of which you can add if you wanted.

Engine wise, the 2.0 HDI 110 bhp engine you'll see is not the best option. It works fine in the old 406, but the 607 is much heavier and the 2.0 will struggle to be comfortable in it. I bought the 2.2 HDI 136 bhp engine and that suits it perfectly. It's powerful enough for the car and shifts it along nicely when required. The gearing is a little odd and can take a while to get used to but it's perfectly fine.

As for mpg.....I get on average 41 mpg. I get about 48 mpg on a trip from Limerick to Letterkenny and about 45 mpg with a full load on board on a long trip. Town driving gets about 37mpg. So all in it's very very frugal with a huge fuel tank so you'd forget almost when you went to buy diesel last!

Personally, I love it and would consider another one when this car is finished with. My next one would be with the 2.2 HDI 170 bhp twin turbo engine with auto and xenons though.

As a second hand buy, you won't find a finer car for the money. But don't expect to sell it on too soon. You'll never see your money again.

Oh and reliability. By all accounts, they are very reliable. I know Peugeot dealers who service a lot of 607s and they rarely see problems. My dad does a breakdown service and has never pulled in a 607 (although is sick of Passats!). So if you find one, get it thoroughly checked out and know it's history. You will find some gems out there.

And finally, buy in England. What you will pay 20k for here, you could bring in from England for 14k handy. So check it out. I know one Peugeot dealer who brings them in for about 12k and sells them for about 20k which is the going rate in Ireland for whatever spec he brings in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good post, AlanD :)

I quite like the 607. I feel it could be a good second hand buy if you know what you're at. And as others said, you need to be in to it for the long run...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Nice post AlanD. I have sat in one and they are a mighty fine car - underestimated in my opinion.

Damn cheap too even at 20K I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

There's no way I'd pay 20k for one though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

junkyard wrote:
    There's no way I'd pay 20k for one though.:o

I agree. 20k is pretty pricey unless it has very low mileage perhaps or there is something special about it. Because at 20k, there's a good 10k worth of falling to be done quite quickly. To find the true value, find a nice car in the UK and see what it would cost to bring it in. That would be more or less what you should be paying for it here. Dealers and especially Peugeot dealers keep 607 prices artificially high. As soon as you buy it for 20k and if you tried to sell it, you wouldn't get 20k.

So few of them on the market that a good deal is hard to find. I would buy another and go to the UK for it definitely.

FYI, a Peugeot dealer in North Tipperary brings in 607s from the UK and may be able to source one for you at a reasonable price....still might be overinflated though!

May eb a good idea to go the UK route alright...just a little extra work for cheaper prices but how bad?!

Advertisement