Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractors on Motorway

Options
  • 15-04-2007 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭

Was driving up Fermoy bypass today and came across a slow moving tractor with massive trailor. Now I thought they were not allowed on the motorway and they had to have come through a toll booth that was manned to get to where I passed them. Any comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You are correct and whoever let it through should be taken out and shot.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TheDriver wrote:
    Was driving up Fermoy bypass today and came across a slow moving tractor with massive trailor
    Was it connected with motorway maintenance by any chance?

I was travelling southbound on the M7 last Saturday and passed a John Deere drawing a low loader on the hard shoulder. (Committing two offences).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

If he was doing over 50kph he would be fine, but I doubt a tractor and trailer would manage this. I've also been told by a reliable source that the restrictions you see at the entrance to motorways; ie no animals, pedestrians, L-drivers etc; have no sound legal basis. So if the gaurds were to stop the driver of the tractor, and it went to court, and the driver had a half decent solicitor, he would walk away laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Just to clear up the issue. Tractors that are capable of achieveing 50kmph or over are allowed to travel on a motor way and many of the newer tractors today are capable of achieving this speed. Having said thst the tractor must be equiped with air brakes and likewise with any trailers its towing. on a technical note when the sign saya no vehicles under 50kmph does it mean you must travel at or above this speed or that you just have to be capable of attaining it? anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Interesting thread, and sorry I don't know the answers! Mods, maybe it should be moved to Commuting and Transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

no vehicles under 50kmph does it mean you must travel at or above this speed or that you just have to be capable of attaining it? anyone know.

Capable... or they could arrest everyone waiting to pay the toll on the m50 !

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mike65 wrote:
    You are correct and whoever let it through should be taken out and shot.

Mike.

Stern.

Stern but fair...:D

Advertisement