Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

avid and .avi??

• 15-04-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭afatbollix

can it work ...

just after getting it here for teh home pc...

usally i digitize but this stuff is all rady on my pc in .avi format.. any change of getting them to work of will i need to get them into some other format?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What codec are they compressed using? (Use Gspot if you need to)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they work on windows media player. so the codec should be on my system shouldent it?

I'm lost...what is the question? If you have problems playing something try VLC Media Player...thats the usual answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I'm lost...what is the question? If you have problems playing something try VLC Media Player...thats the usual answer.
    avid is a editing program, i wanted to import .avi (xvid) into avid to edit. i have sence found out you cant :)

whoops my bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

anto-t wrote:
    avid is a editing program, i wanted to import .avi (xvid) into avid to edit. i have sence found out you cant :)

avi is a container format, which means avi files can be compressed with any number of codecs. Avid can handle avi files but only ones that it has the codec for. So even if your computer can play them avid may not. Try converting them to an uncompressed avi or an avid native avi and import it.

Uncompressed won't work, cause windows will kick off once you hit 2 gigs file size (easily done with uncompressed avi's)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SixDegrees

When importing into Avid its best to use Quicktime files. Use Procoder v3 for all your conversion needs its excellant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

ive used .avi in avid may times, though these were the files that premiere create so they're full res non compressed i assume. now outputting an .avi from avid, thats a problem....

For the Second Time, AVI is a container for the file, it's the Codec you need to worry about, there's not many Codecs that avid likes, and it's not a fan of Xvid or Divx.

• Advertisement
Advertisement