Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Red Sea

• 15-04-2007 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to book a holiday to spend a week diving in the Red Sea. I want to stay in a luxury hotel that has easy access to some good dive sites. I've been checking out www.SomaBay.com which looks good.

Has anyone dive there or could you recommend a good spot.

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

If you don't mind slumming it then a liveaboard is a great way to get out to the farther dive sites. I dived from the Whirlwind recently and its a lovely comfortable boat. Booked through Tony Blachurst scuba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I don't really fancy being stuck on a boat the whole time. I would like to be able to head out and have a nice meal at night or take a day off hire a car and check out the local town and some near by places.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Then you would love Jordan. It has excellent excursions, and the diving is easy.

Google seastar watersports and the Alcazar Hotel.

Allow two days to see Petra

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I stayed in The Hilton Resort in Hurghada.It had a private beach at the end and a top class dive centre- Emperor Divers

seadeuce wrote:
    Then you would love Jordan. It has excellent excursions, and the diving is easy.

Google seastar watersports and the Alcazar Hotel.

Allow two days to see Petra

Seadeuce

Thanks Seadeuce,

That sounds good I must tick that off as my next destination. :D

• Advertisement

Moanin wrote:
    I stayed in The Hilton Resort in Hurghada.It had a private beach at the end and a top class dive centre- Emperor Divers

Thats perfect Moanin, exactly what I'm looking for! I'll report back and let you all know where I go and what I thought of it.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

We went to Iberotel Grand Sharm in Sharm El-Sheikh last September. They're on one of the best reefs in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Good place to base yourself is Eilat in Israel - there's a few okay/ good sites in Eilat itself and you can take daily excursions into Sinai such as the Bluehole (a must) or a boat trip. Aquaba in Jordan is also accessible - so three countries in one trip!

Sabre Man wrote:
    We went to Iberotel Grand Sharm in Sharm El-Sheikh last September. They're on one of the best reefs in the area.

That looks good there. I'm actually thinking of going around September and that hotel doesn't look bad. Was the visibility very good?
    Good place to base yourself is Eilat in Israel - there's a few okay/ good sites in Eilat itself and you can take daily excursions into Sinai such as the Bluehole (a must) or a boat trip. Aquaba in Jordan is also accessible - so three countries in one trip!

Now thats an idea! Get see to alot more that way. I'll suggest that and see what they say.

I'm off in a few weeks to go diving down the south of Spain with a few friends. I'm going to do the advanced open water course as well, so that'll keep me going till September.

Thanks for all the replys everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

If you're going to Israel (Eilat) make sure you've got your advanced open water or are with someone who has cos they won't allow anyone out who isn't advanced open water with out a dive lead, which can add additional expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

AntiVirus wrote:
    That looks good there. I'm actually thinking of going around September and that hotel doesn't look bad. Was the visibility very good?

I'd rate the visibility as being good, but I've experienced better visibility elsewhere.

Sabre Man wrote:
    I'd rate the visibility as being good, but I've experienced better visibility elsewhere.

I was diving in the Bahamas last October/November where the visibility was excellent and I'm just back from diving down in the south of Spain where the visibility was about 8ft. So I'll be happy somewhere in between! :D

Here's a little video I made of my diving holiday in the bahamas.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20b_uD9N8l8

Advertisement