Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting control of domain

Options
  • 15-04-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've being asked to re do a website for a local gaa club. They got a guy to do a site (pretty crap) there a few years ago. He looked after all the registration of domain and hosting.
    Few years down the line now, he seems to have dissapeared. No way of contacting him or anything.
    The question is - how would i go about getting access to the domain?

I done a whois there and doesn't mention anything about the domain being registrar locked. Does that mean i can simply just do a registrar transfer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Surely there are contact details for the guy under the whois info?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No he is a cowboy. He canceled his phone number, and moved house. Noone can get directly in contact with him. I emailed him got reply. But once he found out i need him to do something, he never bothered replying anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

A disgrace, imo.

Well whether or not he registered the domain is irrelevant if the payment was made by someone related to the club. Otherwise, it belongs to him, and he doesn't have to hand it over legally speaking.

Unless it is a dot ie? In which case if the domain name is something like clubname.ie he wouldn't have a claim to it over the club, though I'm not 100% sure on the legalities of that tbh, but that is what I gather from reading bits and pieces. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

They paid him and he kept it going. Surely there must be some way of claiming it. I'll wait and see what others have to say anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Is it a .com or a .ie ?

If it's a .ie it should be registered in the name of the club, so transferring the domain won't be complicated.

If it is a .com you will need the EPP code to transfer the domain. Depending on who the domain was registered through and how it may be a simple process or extremely painful and protracted.

Without knowing what the domain is I can't give you any specific help, so if you want to contact me directly with details please do

• Advertisement
Advertisement