Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a hybrid or buy one...

Options
  • 15-04-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I currently have a mtb, a beone stelis. Its fairly light weight for an entry level bike. The frame is 1800grams(offical figure anyway).

So what I'm thinking is turning it into a hybrid... Getting light weight solid forks, drop down handel bars and try squeezing 700x25c wheels on etc..

My other option would be to buy an entry level road/city bike, budget of €400.

My first question is does anyone know the overall diameter of a 700x25c wheel including tyre? Next question is... which is the better option :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

mloc123 wrote:
    My first question is does anyone know the overall diameter of a 700x25c wheel including tyre? Next question is... which is the better option :D

It should fit in, however only with disc brakes. The rim brakes (V, cantilever) are for different position of the rim.

But to be sure, let someone more profecient is going to give you the best and very true information. I know only about the problem with brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Why not just fit 26" slicks?
    And get fancy Pace carbon forks PC31 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ThOnda wrote:
    It should fit in, however only with disc brakes. The rim brakes (V, cantilever) are for different position of the rim.

But to be sure, let someone more profecient is going to give you the best and very true information. I know only about the problem with brakes.

I think the v brakes on the back may work, the pads can be moved up and down about a half inch either way. If the are still too low for the rim I was thinking of switching to proper road calipers.
    Mucco wrote:
    Why not just fit 26" slicks?
    And get fancy Pace carbon forks PC31 I think

26" inch slicks are still an option also, I was looking at 1.1" ones on chainreaction. For my current level I guess the extra diameter may not make a huge different.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

mloc123 wrote:
    I think the v brakes on the back may work, the pads can be moved up and down about a half inch either way. If the are still too low for the rim I was thinking of switching to proper road calipers.

No, V brakes on the back definitely won't work, the mount is too low on frame. I've considered this issue myself. There are gizmos you can get that could adapt them but not sure you wouldn't be better off going for a set of disc hub equipped road wheels with cheap mechanical (as opposed to hydraulic) disc brakes, such as Avid.

Putting road wheels on a MTB is a popular conversion and I've thought about this myself. However, you would also need to get a road fork for the same reasons as the V-brakes on the back won't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers for all the advice, now to find some new wheels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement