Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premature Babies

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

wow Lennox.. that brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing. For anyone who is right in the thick of it just now it's great to have the reassurance that things can and do get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dogone

just caught thread and thought i wouldgive some hope to parents out there.
    My daughter was born at 25 weeks!! We went through all the trauma the ignorance the lack of information you name it .

But I am delighted to relate that she is now a beautiful 18 year old blonde sitting her leaving cert this year and as normal as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

Good to hear so many positive stories. I have had two prem girls. Hannah born at 26 weeks weighing 1 pound 3 and Leah born at 24 weeks weighing 1 pound 5. I got pregnant again six weeks after having Hannah and because Leah was also premature they were born only seven months apart. Sadly we lost Hannah at five months due to complications but Leah is now nineteen months and doing very well. She is an absolute delight and the apple of our eye. She is still very small and quite a bit behind but I am confident she will catch up. It has been a long tough road and will be for quite some time but she is such a character and great fun. She is definitely our miracle baby. My message would be that no matter what happens you have to have hope. .:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bershka

i had my son 7 weeks early . he was a good weight though at 5lb 4, but had to leave him in hospital for two weeks as he wasn't feeding well. nurses were amazed that he could lift himself up on his arms and look around while on his stomach! it was so funny to look at. well...he only started eating properly at 7 and now never stops, hes 6 ft tall 17 and as they say , prem. babies are really intelligent. its true.....remember isaid this in years to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I was showing the kids pictures on the PC today & we came across this one of my son...made me think of this thread...can't believe he's three now! :eek::D Hope all the other premies are doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hi,

Have had two premature babies both in the Rotunda, at 30 & 31 weeker. I don't think I could ever put myself through another pregnancy again. I know if I ever did get pregnant, due to the nature of the last birth, they would not allow me to carry past 31 weeks.

If anybody is interested myself and another friend have just set a page on facebook just in relation to having a premature baby here in Ireland. We hope to progress onto other things in the future to try help, support and provide access to information and services for parents. You can find us here at http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/irish-premature-babies/246233458273?ref=ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Tis mad Thead, I was over-producing (hard not to with a 4lb'er!) & offered the spare milk to any others that wanted it but there was no official milk bank set up at all...fantastic I could since many of the really premie babies could tollerate bm much easier than formula but they'd arrived too soon for their mums to produce but it was just a case of telling the Dr to let the other parents know it was in the fridge if they needed it...it's a bonkers situation! :confused:

Irish mothers wishing to donate their excess milk can contact the milk bank in Co. Fermanagh, details below. Only milk collected from Rep. of Ireland donors is sent to Rep.of Ireland hospitals. A screening blood test is required for donors (your GP can do this), the donation process is quite easy and Ann and her team are very good for answering your questions or queries. The bank is always looking for donors so give it a thought if you're a breastfeeding mom.

The Human Milk Bank
    Unit 2, The Cornsheads, Mill Street, Irvinestown, Co. Fermanagh BT94 1GR
    Contact name: Anne McCrea
    Phone: 028 686 28333 (UK) / 048 686 28333 (EIRE)
    Email: TMB.IRVINESTOWN@westerntrust.hscni.net

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

hi,
    There are a few contraindications to donating milk, the same criteria applys to donating blood. I had blood transfusions after my last birth and sadly it precluded me from donating. But by all means ring Ann first. In the rotunda neo-natal unit, they have a facility to donate milk in the expressing room off the ICU to the bank. It is a brillant service for babies who need breastmilk and its lovely to know that so many mums have taken the time to express for others.

Advertisement