Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have student card, want non student one

Options
  • 16-04-2007 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with AIB. I have a Student Credit card. I want a normal one, as I'm only a part time student now.

Rang them up did all the neccessary bits on the phone and they said they'd check it out and post me out some stuff to sign.

I got something in the post requiring me to go into an AIB branch with my passport and a recent utility bill or bank statement (Proof of ID and Address) to get them copied, verified and sent off by the bank to the credit dept.

WTF? I have a student card with them. I have a current account with them. I have a ****ing loan with them. Why the hell do I need to bring ****e into the bank? Was talking to a mate in work who says this is normal - I just don't understand it?

Will be ringing them tomorrow as only recieved it on Friday when I got home from work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>I'm with AIB. I have a Student Credit card. I want a normal one, as I'm only a part time student now.

Sure, just keep the Student MasterCard, you can even increase the limit via 24hour banking, it is a fine card, except for the high APR, but then again you shouldn't be running a balance

>I got something in the post requiring me to go into an AIB branch with my >passport and a recent utility bill or bank statement (Proof of ID and Address) >to get them copied, verified and sent off by the bank to the credit dept.

The Criminal Justice Act 1994 imposed anti money laundering rules on banks
    http://www.ifsra.ie/data/in_aml_files/Credit_Institutions.pdf

however I recall seeing a note on BOI forms saying if you were a customer on or before xx/xx/95 (which was the commencement date of the act) you were grandfathered in as the americans say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My student card only seems to be renewed on a yearly basis. Others seem to have 3 or 4 years out of theres. I fear they'll cut me off when they see I'm not a full time student and I'll be without a card for weeks while I go through various applications.

I still don't get the anti money laundering stuff - they gave me a loan, 3 bank accounts and another credit card. Now they need to verify my identity. I can't even use a bank statement or credit card statement from them as proof of address.

Having said that, I popped into AIB when it was quiet and the process only took a couple of mins ... but I shouldn't have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

ciaranfo wrote:
    My student card only seems to be renewed on a yearly basis. Others seem to have 3 or 4 years out of theres. I fear they'll cut me off when they see I'm not a full time student and I'll be without a card for weeks while I go through various applications.

I still don't get the anti money laundering stuff - they gave me a loan, 3 bank accounts and another credit card. Now they need to verify my identity. I can't even use a bank statement or credit card statement from them as proof of address.

Having said that, I popped into AIB when it was quiet and the process only took a couple of mins ... but I shouldn't have to!

I got a letter in the post this morning saying that my account has been changed to a graduate account. Im taking a year out of college and have been working, getting a steady income, so they must have thought i had graduated. I just rang up the student centre (1890 43 40 40) to change it back since i will be in college next year. Did this because didnt like the look of all the charges that go with the graduate account. They said thats no problem we will leave you with the graduate account but not charge you anything, but i still have access to a €1,000 overdraft that goes with the graduate a/c, so that a bonus.

But its strange that they can just change your a/c whenever they want, but when you want to do it you need a passport etc. to do it:mad:

Got my new card today and my old one dies in 2 weeks time. All was straight forward enough but it's a pain not being able to switch cards directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Money Laundering..... tis the bane of my life :rolleyes:

TBH its a necessary evil. Blame the law and all the scumbag criminals.

I tried to get a BE c/c, because I changed my AIB a/c to a grad a/c. But because my wages were not mandated to my AIB a/c, it would have caused more hassle than it was worth. I would just stick with the student c/c for the time being. Unless you are going to run up a massive bill on it, its not worth it.

• Advertisement

I still don't see how money laundering is even relevent in my case. How it was a neccessary evil.

I had credit card, current account and loan with them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I dont know when you opened all of the above but as far as the bank is concerned, people move and addresses change etc. Look, I dont agree with it. TBH, its a load of bull****e but there is not a lot the ordinary bank offical can do. I'm faced with it everyday and TBH i'm embarrased to have to ask people for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I applied for a credit card with AIB, I also had a student account previously. I got one of these forms in the post from them too. a bit confusing so i gave the card center a call. They said that its a standard form and because I was already a customer with them I'd already been verified so I just needed to sign the form and mail it off. Happy Days! :)

Advertisement