Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest courier: UK-Ireland

Options
  • 16-04-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Need to find a cheap but reliable courier from UK to Ireland.

For package weight of 8-10kg initially. Don't want to go with expensive TNT,DHL or UPS if I can help it...am thinking about Nightline (they deliver in Ireland for City Link UK) as I believe they offer good value overnight delivery.

Will be looking at setting up an account.

Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Only one I know off the top of my head apart from the bigger companies is Interlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

look on ebay there is a few, there not bad for price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cgarrad wrote:
    look on ebay there is a few, there not bad for price.

Whats on ebay ?

I think he means someone like Parcel2Go - but I need a good company that will insure my shipment.

Waiting for a quote from Nightline. My other supplier says it would only be £18 if they sent stuff to me with City Link (Nightline deliver for them here in Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I use interlink, they have been very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Nightline are offering competitive pricing at the moment from what I have heard.

I think there is a crowd left TNT recently and set up on their own? Their name escapes me. They seemed to be offering good pricing and are reliable.

I'm not sure about using 'cheap' couriers. They seem to lose parcels the whole time. You are only insured by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

UPS have a "schedule a collection" form on their website, however

-they expect someone at the FROM address to pay them*
    -they don't always arrive

its really designed for regular shippers who

-have an industrial estate or CBD address
    -have a UPS account number

* this is a big problem, many times I have bought heavy objects (car parts) on ebay and to avoid the sellers ripoff postage (or to make things easier form them and get a better price) I'd say I'll send my own courier to collect, these days I use Interlink (Ireland, but I guess they exist in the UK also) I fax the local depot and provide my credit card number, always works (in Ireland)

One of my suppliers is using DHL (£25-30 from the UK including insurance up to £15k). Should be 24-48hrs to Dublin I think.

The other used City Link (not sure if it's insured, I think it cost £18). I ordered Thursday afternoon and the delivery was with me in Dublin by 3.30pm on Friday. Can't get much better than that.

So while this is working ok, I'll stick with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

jrey1981 wrote:
    One of my suppliers is using DHL (£25-30 from the UK including insurance up to £15k). Should be 24-48hrs to Dublin I think.

The other used City Link (not sure if it's insured, I think it cost £18). I ordered Thursday afternoon and the delivery was with me in Dublin by 3.30pm on Friday. Can't get much better than that.

So while this is working ok, I'll stick with them.

How large was the box that cost you 18 pound

• Advertisement

My supplier has an account with them so I think they get a discount.

Supposedly it is a flat rate from the UK to Ireland for any size / weight.

Advertisement