Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bhuel?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Orals start today, Irish for me...have to admit, I'm nervous as hell.

Will report back in an hour or so. In the meantime.... who else is the poor fecker at the start of the alphabet that has to be the first in? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ahhh not till friday with french, Irish are next week!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Bhuel! That went grand! Feel so relieved now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

had mine today. was the first on so i was somewhat nervous. but the examiner was extremely nice and welcoming. i think i did pretty good.i messed up a bit on the aimsiri but what can you do. i got 137 yesterday in my practice oral so hopefully i can hit the 140 mark with today's exam!! fingers crossed!! good look everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Ya had my Irish today. Went really well, I was the lucky randomer that had an external examiner behind me, but I forgot all about. I think my questions were hard for his sake but I got in every single tense and he seemed very pleased. He stopped the tape and said that my accent sounded like I was fro the gaeltacht!! Big brownie points there. Does anyone know if its "taken into account" so to speak, if theres an external examiner present?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Mackleton wrote:
    Ya had my Irish today. Went really well, I was the lucky randomer that had an external examiner behind me, but I forgot all about. I think my questions were hard for his sake but I got in every single tense and he seemed very pleased. He stopped the tape and said that my accent sounded like I was fro the gaeltacht!! Big brownie points there. Does anyone know if its "taken into account" so to speak, if theres an external examiner present?
    Basically they just talk about you afterwards and go through the marks they gave you and the external inspector will check to see if you're being marked correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I was supposed to be tommorrow, but our examiner is a retard and has been spendin 20-45 mins with each student. Well, in fairness, the 45 min one did include the tape recorder breaking, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Had mine 2day aswell, probably one of the easiest orals i have ever done (the mocks were so much harder). It was all based on simple basic stuff...although I did put in a sentence of spanish in there, does that lose me marks???

no the examiner will take slips like that into account. they understand that you are revising various languages for your orals. i very nearly said bonjour as i walked into the room:o my bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Our examiner said if you say anything like that in French it won't matter once that isn't all you say!

Everyone seems to think the guys sound, lets hope he is!

Im in tomorrow 2nd thing:o

( at least i'll have plenty of time to empty my load at home before going in):D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Phew, thats ok then

altho....i stalled for about 10 seconds at the beginning, had a complete blank (couldn't think of how to say what my age was!!!) I guess they will put that down as nerves?? I was much more free flowing after that.

• Advertisement

I gave the wrong age, laughed it off and said it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago so I'm not quite used to it. \o/

Mine is tomorrow. I'm just looking to get some preperation on the television topic , just enough for me to be able to say that I like Television (watch it everynight, have a favourite program and why) but I prefer music. Words like "character" and the genres of programs are eluding me at the moment so I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm near the start of the alphabet but I didn't have my exam til after 2 o'clock. It went very well! The examiner was talking to me in English before he started the tape but I kept answering him as Gaeilge. The sliocht was a breeze, and when he stopped the tape he even complimented my standard of Irish. Which is nice...

Murderer, character is caractar; soap is sobalcláir; comedy is clár grinn, what else do you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

anyone got 'languages' ?

I'm either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on how fast they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

teangacha?
    I... think.. never been good at plurals.

teanga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

it's teangacha for plural isn't it?

Yup, I had a total blank at the start too. The examiner was talking away about what the exam was going to be like and asking me if everything was okay, and I couldn't think of "ceart go leor" so I was just nodding and going "mm-hmm" for about five minutes. She was lovely though. I got really easy questions, hardly nothing in módh conníollach (sp?) There was one strange bit where she just interrupted me while I was rambling on about politics and asked what time I get up in the morning. Threw me a bit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Definately teangacha for plural coz in mine today I said, "Ta bua faoi leith agam sna teangacha" at least I hope that was right...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I got asked, area, school, TY, gaeltacht...last year's summer job, then future. I said what course I want, then he asked me what parts of Irish history I like. That was grand but then he asked me who I think was in the right in the Civil War, Collins or DeV. :eek: I think I got around that...then because I'm 18, voting...I said I'd vote for the Greens I think, then he asked me what I think of Bertie, Pat Rabbitte and Ena Kenny. I think questions like that are an indication that I did well...:D Plus my Irish teacher asked him about me and he said I'm very intelligent. YAY. Hopefully it'll help me to scrape the A2 I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

haha oh dear god:o

Reckon i scraped a pass in PASS:o :D

Couldn't actually put sentences together, all my prepared stuff just flew out of my head when i got in there!

At least it's my pass subject but it has made me very nervous ahead of next weeks French oral:eek:

i am so screwed of the french oral. i might just take the next week and a half off and study for it!! the girls' school have their french oral the day before us so that will be useful. i will ask them what were the topics discussed.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

it's a tad late in the thread but yes, teangacha is correct. I always just check focal.ie when I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Mine went brilliantly, got in everything I wanted to talk about. Got plenty of nathanna cainte in so it sounded natural. Only person asked the modh coillíoladh and I messed it up although not completely, still will get most of the marks. Told me I got full marks in the sliocht and if I do as well in June as I did today I'll be delighted with my result. Got the best compliment of the day!! Such a relief to get it done today!

Our examiner was possibly the most easy going out there. I was able to direct the conversation with ease and got through it relatively unscathed.

By the way, does anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that they won't have to speak Irish ever again?

There actually seems to be quite a high number of peope not being asked the MC. Half the honours class in my year have been in, with only one person being asked what they would do with €1m.

By the way, does anyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that they won't have to speak Irish ever again?

One of the teachers hit me with a pen for saying that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm the last in my school :rolleyes:

The girls that had it today were asked about a murder that happened in our town...a car crash that happened in our town. One girl was asked about the enviornment and then asked something about water in Galway (didn't even know about that myself :o )

I'm not too nervous about it. I have a few friends who go to Irish schools and they have been helping me :)

Anyway I'm doing Pass so I'll be grand :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I had mine today, delighted to have one oral down, it was grand, went well so I'm happy, although I had French in my head as usual... Kept having to hold my tongue from saying 'oui' or 'mais', I was actually thinking French answers in my head during it, ...well, can't wait for the French oral, too bad I gotta wait till next Friday :-@ I sooo wanna have the two done and dusted.

if anyone (in OL) wants to know what topics...

Where do I live?... Any facilities in the area.. I mentioned there's a shop, they asked what's sold in the shop? (weird)..Hobbies? (I said music) How/When did you start playing guitar?.. What are your plans for the summer? (I mentioned work), Why do you want this job? (I mentioned a job I used have), What did you do in this job?, then wished me luck and that they hoped I got the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I think questions like that are an indication that I did well...:D Plus my Irish teacher asked him about me and he said I'm very intelligent. YAY. Hopefully it'll help me to scrape the A2 I want.

Well done!!!

All of my year's done now. Only people who got asked any MC were those who said they wanted to be teachers, what would you do if you had a bad student in your class. None of the OL got asked it either. Strange....

Advertisement