Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bhuel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

It would be hilarious if someone translated an Irish oral with your average/weak OL student to English as a normal convo, I mean the tone of the examiner (helpful, friendly, interested) then the time of the student... Maybe it was just me in particular, but the examiner seemed to respond the exact same to every one of my questions (with 'go han-mhaith' or whatever), ah well I'm not complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Got mine done at 10.20 today, having been scheduled for 3.30 yesterday. It went really well tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

There was one unlucky sucker who hyphenated their name. They would have been one of the last if they hadnt hypenated but instead they went first. At least she doesnt have to Irish as shes from America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

md99 wrote:
    It would be hilarious if someone translated an Irish oral with your average/weak OL student to English as a normal convo, I mean the tone of the examiner (helpful, friendly, interested) then the time of the student... Maybe it was just me in particular, but the examiner seemed to respond the exact same to every one of my questions (with 'go han-mhaith' or whatever), ah well I'm not complaining

Every half, bad grammered sentence i stuttered out of my mouth was greeted by a "fair play" "fair play"

I think he thought i was special:D :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

well my irish is tomorrow... im doing it third

i havent done any preperation for it, i had a mock oral with my teacher today for 40mins and it went great. he said im brilliant, and it comes naturally to me and im also really relaxed!! :D Like my plan is when im asked about my family i will just blab on for ages about my dad's businesses....like today i ended up talking about how pigs are ranked third in agri outputs and how technologically advanced Danish pig farmers are!!! ha!!! also went on about our much needed by-pass, North Kerry politicians, school, irish agriculture, the role of the media and drink driving... im actually really looking forward to it tomorrow, it should be good craic!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, I've my mock Irish oral tomorrow but the real one's on Monday. I'm first in alphabetical order so I'm bricking it now.

But, my fav subject French is Friday morning and I'm super confiedent that it'll all go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Had mine today and went fairly well. Asked bout area, sport, school, hobbies, after the LC and that was it. Nothing on the modh connillach oddly enough, but I wasnt complaining. the slíocht went very well, nailed that one(Slíocht 10). And yes, it is good knowing I'll never speak it again. All that stuff I remembered just beforehand is slowly seeping out of my brain right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Was the 2nd in in my whole school, brickin it going in, but the examiner put me at ease (kept encouraging me if I needed a minute to gather my thoughts etc).

But only now - a few days down the line I'm having doubts - should have said alot more. I'm only in pass, but talking to others in my class, they were asked about politics and social problems whereas she asked me the basics - name, age, family, school, after school, area, facilities, part-time job ... and ended it after that. Not even any conditional tense.

Now, I'm decent at Irish - even had the teacher telling me I shouldn't be happy with anything less than a high B ... and flew the mock oral.

Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

no don't worry, the examiner was just getting into the swing of things as well. if anything i'd say u will have a better mark than the others, that is if u answered the given qs properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Mine didnt feel like an Irish oral at all....it was just a chat, i thibnk it was almost too informal...he kept throwing in english words, it was really off putting....

Now Im freaked, I spent most of it talking about me and my boyfriend breaking up and him being an asshole!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

ThatGuy wrote:
    But only now - a few days down the line I'm having doubts - should have said alot more. I'm only in pass, but talking to others in my class, they were asked about politics and social problems whereas she asked me the basics - name, age, family, school, after school, area, facilities, part-time job ... and ended it after that. Not even any conditional tense.

Now, I'm decent at Irish - even had the teacher telling me I shouldn't be happy with anything less than a high B ... and flew the mock oral.

Should I be worried?

As I said already, that happened to heaps of people in my year, and it seems to be the general consensus, with just a few exceptions. So I wouldn't worry.

Advertisement