Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baldy Tyres, Nice Stereo

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I pulled up alongside a guy in Capel Street last night. He had a '99 Almera, HUGE tacky bling alloys and low profile tyres. His stereo was pounding, and the face of it popped out of the dash and hinged upwards towards the driver. It looked very expensive.

But his front tyres were Kojacked - I mean absolutely treadless, like racing slicks. I'm sure the pretty girl in the passenger seat was unaware she was in a vehicle that was downright dangerous.

The stereo and alloys were obviously his priority, though.

I was beside him, so didn't get a reg, and there were no cops around, so he remaioned unreported. I wish I could have though. What do people be thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

overdriver wrote:
    ...the pretty girl in the passenger seat...

A case of the green eyed monster maybe? :D:D:D

But you're right ...baldy tyres are dangerous, hope he gets pulled soon.

Would I have reported him (given a chance) ...dunno, really ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Well, I tell ya, today I feel I should haven reported him. They were almost down to the wire. I think I was afraid as well that they would think I was only reporting him cos he was African. I'd have felt the same about an Irish guy driving on those tyres too.

I mean, he had the money for the stereo. So why not tyres? And if the stereo came with the car, for example, he still should have waited to replace the tyres before driving.

In the uK, they give penalty points out for tyres like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah but you are hardly going to be able to score birds by rolling up to them with elbow hanging out of the window and a puny headunit and saying "hey baby check out the thread on my tyres" ;)

But on a serious note, yes you are right, i see many cars driving along with almost slick tyres which is very dangerous as it significantly increases braking distance, handling etc.

How does the fact that he had chrome alloys and a nice headunit come into this though???

Because he had his priorities assways. He had the money for rims and a stereo, but not to change outright dangerous tyres?

The first thing I do when I buy ANY car is change the tyres. Even if they look ok, because I don't know the history of them. Did they get a smack of a kerb at soem point? How old are they? Etc etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

C_Breeze wrote:
    How does the fact that he had chrome alloys and a nice headunit come into this though???
    I think he is trying to point out that the driver had enough wallet to get an expensive stereo and rims but felt that rubber was not worth spending money on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I remember seeing a 05 G registered Mazda 6 last year in the Tesco car park in Athlone, with 2 totally completely bald front tyres. There was a child seat in the back of the car. Tbh, it sent a shiver down my spine to think that anyone with young children could sit into, and drive a car in this state.

That's the thing, Gyppo. I wouldn't drive the car in that state anywhere. Let alone a public road.

Don't blowouts occur most commonly in the last 10% of a tyres life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:
    I think he is trying to point out that the driver had enough wallet to get an expensive stereo and rims but felt that rubber was not worth spending money on!

How did you know yer one was up the duff?

:D

She had a ...glow...but it could've been the UV off the face of that stereo.

testicle wrote:
    How did you know yer one was up the duff?
    It took me a few reads to get that! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I sat in traffic behind a 525 last year where the wire was showing. Couldn't believe it. The guy drove past 2 Garda cars as if he hadn't a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

overdriver wrote:
    That's the thing, Gyppo. I wouldn't drive the car in that state anywhere. Let alone a public road.

Don't blowouts occur most commonly in the last 10% of a tyres life?

Yeah blowouts will occur alot more when the tires are bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not condoning bald tyres, but maybe the guy bought the car with the sound system and alloys already fitted?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Not condoning bald tyres, but maybe the guy bought the car with the sound system and alloys already fitted?
    Makes no difference - he could afford to buy a car but not maintain it? He could flog the stereo and alloys for cheaper rims and new tyres if he heeded to.
    Whatever way you look at it the driver should not be allowed driver the car in its current condition.

Advertisement