Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applets for C# ???

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering if there is a way of creating applets in C#? They must behave more or less exactly like those in Java, and run in either IE or Mozilla... Looked around a bit on google etc. but couldn't find anything particularly helpful or useful. Anybody got a decent book/website etc. that could point me in the right direction...

Edit: If this is a dumb question then i apologise sincerely...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No such thing as a dumb question.

Pretty sure you can't, but I don't know c# at all. There's nothing technologically preventing such a thing (c# being compiled into a bytecode of some sort) but I just don't see any real need or desire for it.

If you know c#, learning java will be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Khannie wrote:
    No such thing as a dumb question.

Pretty sure you can't, but I don't know c# at all. There's nothing technologically preventing such a thing (c# being compiled into a bytecode of some sort) but I just don't see any real need or desire for it.

If you know c#, learning java will be a doddle.

i know java, not c#... doing a project for company, boss man is insisting that it be done in .net, went with c# based on java experience...

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What's the basic list of requirements for the project?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You could try WPF I think - they have some sort of web browser application model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

damnyanks wrote:
    You could try WPF I think - they have some sort of web browser application model.
    WPF/E, now known as Silverlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Isn't WPF/E windows only? That'd be a good way to kill a good proportion of your target market. Also, i think it may still be pretty much IE only.

So that'd be a terrible choice (for the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Isn't WPF/E windows only? That'd be a good way to kill a good proportion of your target market. Also, i think it may still be pretty much IE only.

So that'd be a terrible choice (for the moment).
    Nope, its also definately on the Mac at the minute with demos and CTP on the Silverlight site, though it looks like its been left to the Mono team to bring it to the OSS world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Even still, WPF/E requires macos 10.4.8 or higher. That's a fairly small proportion of macos users i'd assume.

Advertisement