Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh or Bars for Dog Run

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm looking into getting dog runs from a manufacturer and there are 2 diferent types those with mesh and those with bars, for big dogs which type is the best.

I've been told that dogs can jump up on the mesh type and bring poo from their feet onto the metal and they cannot jump up on the type with bars as they get a 'glasgow kiss' and soon realise not to do it again.

Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If they have poo on their feet, you're doing something wrong to start with.

I.e. not letting them out enough to poo outside and/or not cleaning up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My parents use stud fencing for their big dogs. The fence would be 4.5ft at least in height.
    Works out ok and fits in with the rest of the fencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

peasant wrote:
    If they have poo on their feet, you're doing something wrong to start with.

I.e. not letting them out enough to poo outside and/or not cleaning up properly.

They do get proper exercise, there will be times when they will poo in their run and carry it on their feet.

My query is about bars or mesh for a dog run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My smaller dog still manages to leave me a present in her run now and then and then she dances all over it and she's out and about a lot.

I would go for the ones with bars like the Cill Dara runs, plus they are easy to put up so no labour charges and you can move them around or bolt them to the ground if you want to. They hare good and thick and strong they don't really get dirty you can just hose them down a bit if they do or use the pressure washer. They are galvanised so are pretty tough. So far I've had no dog escape from them. Best to have them on solid ground if the dog is a digger other than that they are fab and have a wee gap underneath only a small puppy or tiny dog could get out of so it's handy when sweeping out the run to let the water run off. Or you can just saw the legs off it to have it flush with the ground.

I love Cill Dara runs..you'd never guess:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

@GPR how much are he Cill dara runs?

We made our own run at home with wooden posts cemented into the ground then mesh all around with that wire strengthener and a border of wood. It is about 25' x 10' so I think it worked out a lot cheaper than it would have cost to buy one!

• Advertisement

Not sure how much they are now, I bought ours a couple of years ago but I would say you could pay anything from 350 to 550 euro depending on the size that's roughly though could be a wee bit more. It seems like a lot but they last a lifetime plus you can move them around unlike a chainlink run some stronger dogs can bite through them and they are permanent plus chainlink isn't all that cheap anymore.

Also the beauty of the Cill Dara runs is if you are short on cash you can buy a gate panel and two small side panels if you have a wall to put it up against you don't have to fork out for the back panel. Over time them you can extend the run whenever you have the money by buying two panels at a time. Although it makes more sense with a larger dog to buy two large panels and a gate panel.

N nope I don't work for Cill Dara runs lol but I am a huge fan of them I've had them occupied by dogs of all sizes, cats (very small kittens could get out though and you need to wire the top but that's easy) and rabbits. They make great rabbit runs if you have a solid base and cover the top. The fear with a regular rabbit run is that a fox or dog couple easily topple it over but with the cill dara they are made to keep dogs in so can just as easily keep dogs out.

Example pics.

scutoutsidekissyface.jpg

Beloved Molly (R.I.P.)
    molsout.jpg

You can attach it to a shed and add a flap to let them go in and out (in this pic door is ajar was taken when run was new).
    scutout.jpg

Example of a chainlink run (unfinished).
    pennedited.jpg

Ah found one with no small animals in it lol. This is the larger run.
    dogrunconcrete.jpg

I love 'em they are a godsend best thing I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

I bought a cill dara run for my chickens 4 years ago. Very strong and easy to assemble. The gate panels are very sturdy. I even have a gate panel inside my shed. They are expensive but you'll have them for life.

See the following thread for pics:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055071991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Did anybody know anything about another guy in Navan who makes dog runs.

Think I heard of someone in that area but have no contact details, Cill Dara deliver nationwide I think not sure if they have a charge on delivery atm.

Was thinking about using a Cill Dara if we get hens wasn't sure if they can get out of it are the bars narrow enough? If they are then that's very handy since we'd have to move them around to fresh grass.

Advertisement