Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom tiling - full wall or half wall?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hope this is the right forum for this.

My other half and I are hopefully getting the keys for our new apartment soon. But we are a bit unsure of how to tile the bathrooms. There's two bathrooms - one ensuite and one main bathroom. They are both fairly normal in size. Is it the norm nowadays to tile the full bathroom, as in like all the walls? Or just go halfway up the wall and also do splashback areas?

We will probably end up selling it in a few years as we'd like to get a house then so don't want to make it difficult to selll with our tiling choice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

tinkerbell wrote:
    Hi folks

Hope this is the right forum for this.

My other half and I are hopefully getting the keys for our new apartment soon. But we are a bit unsure of how to tile the bathrooms. There's two bathrooms - one ensuite and one main bathroom. They are both fairly normal in size. Is it the norm nowadays to tile the full bathroom, as in like all the walls? Or just go halfway up the wall and also do splashback areas?

We will probably end up selling it in a few years as we'd like to get a house then so don't want to make it difficult to selll with our tiling choice!

Are you tiling it or is a tiler ?

I would say full Tile it with a Border in no mad colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

We tiled our bathroom just up past the windowledges and finished off the top with a border. I've now painted the top part of the walls and it looks great. This will also make it easier to put in mirrors, shelves etc without worrying that I'll crack some tiles while drilling the holes.

We were going to tile the whole room floor to ceiling but decided this would be a little oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Going halfway up is a last century style IMO. I'm going to do the same as Prosperous Dave for my ensuite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

I would agree with Dave regarding it being easier to hang mirrors,etc on untiled walls. We are getting our bathroom renovated in the next few weeks and are just goign to tile the splashback areas - around bath and around the sink. The rest will be painted white

Personally, I don't like floor to ceiling tiles as I find the bathroom gets very clammy/steamy and the tiles get condensated and slippy. Plus you can change the look of the bathroom over time by painting the untiled walls a different colour.

(Plus it's cheaper to tile just small areas of the bathroom ;) )

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Zambia232 wrote:
    Are you tiling it or is a tiler ?

I would say full Tile it with a Border in no mad colours
    We'll be getting a tiler to do it for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dools wrote:
    I don't like floor to ceiling tiles as I find the bathroom gets very clammy/steamy and the tiles get condensated

And if you dont have tiles the steam is going where?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

my thoughts exactly,

if done well I think full tile looks better,
    but if made a bgs of it wont look nice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I'd go full with a border just above half way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All depends on your budget, the use of the bathroom etc etc,

As regards easier to hang things it does not make any difference, you have to drill the wall regardless and use rawl plugs so this I would not consider, u will though need a masonary bit to drill the tiles, but this is not an issue.

All depends on the look u want, some people like tiles others don't.
    Tiling is a finished job, well until the tiles go out of style, then it is easier to tile just the splashback, but consider that u will need to paint the untiled area possibly every 1 or 2.

IF I was you, since you are selling I wud only do the shower area and splashback and get nice complimentary colors for the walls. You really answered the question yourself in the fact that u don't want to have to push ur tile choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If the room will be steamy, it'd be preferable to have full tiling. But, depending on the colour scheme you choose, it could be oppressive alright. That could be the value of having a border halfway up, with lighter colour on top. Lighting will also be important, as will use of mirrors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement