Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on patio contractor

Options
  • 16-04-2007 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations on patio contractor. I'm looking to get a patio laid in the back garden, a small wall for a raised bed, possibly get the rest of the garden turned over for beds, lawn.
    I'm not really looking for a landscaping/design service. I've gotten quotes from some of these guys and to be honest a lot of them are way more expensive than what I am looking for. I already have a design, will do the planting myself, etc.

Any body have any good experiences. I'm based on the north side of Dublin.

I've seen the sticky List Of Companies/Services Details and the various on-line tradesmen sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sorry for saying so but what you think you want appears different to what you need. There are lots of Vans with no names, no insurance and most of all no relevant expertise/experience.

Its amazing what some will accept disguised as a bargain. Also your approach is likely to risk disappointment and such a pity when it comes to such important aspects of your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I'm guessing from your reply that you are a contractor or in the business in some way.

Regardless, I'm aware that, as with any industry, there are lots of cowboys at the lower end of the market. I'll be looking for references, etc. to try avoid these guys. The only cowboys I've come across so far however are the cowboys at the other end of the market. The guys who seem to think they are some sort of Diarmuid Gavin (not a good thing in my book).
    Sure there's a market for people who do not know what they want, do not want to do any of the work themselves and want a perfect garden done in a week. If they're willing (and able) to pay for that then fair play to them. I'm not looking for that - the design, planting and making/correcting mistakes is all part making it my garden. Laying Patio is just a bit beyond my comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Well said PaschalNee.

I'm afraid I cant help you with a recommendation of a contractor but I am doing all my own hard landscaping myself (including design ;) ) and have found www.pavingexpert.com invaluable. It is certainly worth a read even if you are getting a contractor in as the information will ensure you are not given a below par job.

There really is nothing difficult about laying paving or patio if you are prepared for the physical graft and are willing to take your time to ensure it is done correctly. There is no reason why you shouldn't end up with a finish that is as good as or even better than you would get from an expert.

Advertisement