Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange rabit behaviour

Options
  • 16-04-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have a pet rabbit thats been acting pretty strange over the last
    week. he was staying in a friends house over weekend where he had
    company of other rabbits (although he was kept in a separate cage) &
    has been acting strange since he came home .... he is kept alone so I
    thought he might be lonely only now he has stopped eating his dry food
    ... will only eat broccoli, grass & Hay ....

we had him in the garage all winter so decided that moving him outside
    might cheer him up ... but he still isnt eating .....am very concerned
    .... tried 3 types of different food, with no luck ..... he has also
    become a little aggressive which is very out of character as he is
    normally a very happy bunny ...... he doenst appear to be ill as he
    still runs around & has no problem eating broccoli etc .....

anybody got any suggestions ..... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When you say he's not eating is he not eating anything or just not eating certain foods? If he's not eating certain foods it could be that when he was away he was fed differently and has become a bit more fussy. The most important things for him to eat is good quality hay and fresh water to drink after that comes the fresh vegetables and after that the dry food.
    I woudln't worry if he is still eating hay and veg just don't over do the green veggies. Dry food wise he doesn't need much of it anyway but if not already try switching gradually to Burgess for rabbits much better quality sometimes it's hard to know what goes into some pet shop bought rabbit food esp. if it's been re packed. I wouldn't worry about the dry food for now although you might need to have his teeth checked in case he is finding it difficult to eat hard foods.

The other thing is how old is he and is he neutered?
    If he's young he may be just coming into full adult hood and may be getting a bit hormonal. Some rabbits can become aggressive and territorial esp after about 5 to 6 months of age. The only answer to this is to have a reliable vet neuter him (or spay him if he's female).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hi Guineapigrescue, I meant i he is just not eating the dry food. He still eats Veg and some grass/hay etc and drinks water. He wasnt fed anything different when he was away

He is about 8 or 10 months old now and has not been neutered.. so maybe i should bring him to the vet and get this done. I cud get his teeth checked while im there.

Advertisement