Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I need a new catalytic converter.....apparently!

Options
  • 16-04-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My beloved car has recently had a full service. I asked the guy to check my ommissions aswell as the car failed the nct recently due to the omissions being too high.

According to the garage guy my catalytic converter is faulty and needs replacing. Could this be the cause of my high omissions??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Your emissions could be high if the Catalytic converter failed. But I would change the Lambda (Oxygen) sensor first as these are more likely to fail. What kind of car is it, how many miles are up on it? There are many things that can be responsible for high emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Your emissions could be high if the Catalytic converter failed. But I would change the Lambda (Oxygen) sensor first as these are more likely to fail. What kind of car is it, how many miles are up on it? There are many things that can be responsible for high emissions.

Its a mazda mx5. There is about 70000 miles on it.

The guy did say he did other tests and the could not find the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Original cat converters can be quite expensive (I was quoted €1,000) ask if he can source a spurious cat and weld it in. Should cost €200 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

py2006 wrote:
    Its a mazda mx5. There is about 70000 miles on it.

The guy did say he did other tests and the could not find the fault.

Was he able to test the cat and prove it to be faulty?
    I ask because the way you put it makes it sound like he is faulting the cat because he cant find anything else wrong.

Unless the cat has tested faulty I would not even consider fitting one. Same with the oxygen sensor mentioned above. Bolt on diagnostics is the most expensive way there is.

Advertisement