Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water filtration systems for your home/business

Options
  • 16-04-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought I would share some of the info I learned whilst researching water filtration systems for home and business (OK small business use).

Personally I don't believe that the problem with the water supply will be fixed anytime soon in Galway, at least not for a few months in best case scenario, considering the level of sheer incompetence by local and central governmental authorities so far. So I decided to look into getting an undersink unit that will effectively remove the parasite from the tap water.

If you are looking for one make sure it is or has at least one of the following:

tested & certified by NSF Standard 53 for cyst removal/reduction
    absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller (I heard .2 micron pore size is best but pricey)
    uses reverse osmosis process

home distilling kits will also work too

NSF standard 53 is the business for removing the parasite.

I will post up some product links later on once I the emails back from the vendors if they are compliant with the above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Charlie, any more info on suitable products you've found?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Spamzor.

Anyway, I can reccomend the following on experiance:

http://www.wellnessfilter.com/

According to this data sheet:
    http://www.wellnessfilter.com/Support/Downloads/Manuals/LabResults.pdf
    It should be able to deal with cryptosporidium, tho I can't say for sure, so do your research. Just to say that this filter gives a real nice quality and taste of water(from a very poor quality group water scheme) and that it supposedly is good for you as well :)

Meant to be pricey tho......

I'm kicking myself now. Having looked at those cylinder type systems, they seem very similar to this one we've had for the past 5 years:
    http://www.avilion.co.uk/

We used to have the ceramic FRX 02 filter which works down to 0.2 microns, but we found that the crappy Galway water was clogging it up quickly, and we were having to replace them more frequently than 6 months (at 40-odd euro a pop).

So last time we got the cheaper, less effective, but longer lasting Matrix filter - just in time for the cryptosporidium outbreak :rolleyes:

Thus, I've just ordered a new FRX 02 filer which is certified to NSF standard 53 against the likes of crytposporidium, so we can stop wasting money on bottled water (as we could have been doing all this time :mad: )

FYI, we got the Triflow tap and filter from Kelly Fitted Furniture near Oranmore who installed our kitchen. Can't remember now, but it might have cost 300 quid for the whole tap and filter unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crypto Solution

I ones I am selling are under €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Make, model?

Are you selling privately, or are you selling through a VAT-registered business?

Where would potential customers go for parts and service?
    Does the price include fitting?

I'm tempted get a filter irregardless of public sector mismanagement and alleged cover-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crypto Solution

The make for the system is Everpure. Model is S-100.

I am purchasing directly from the manufacture, through an agent.

The main part of the system is the filter. These need to be replaced annually depending on the quality of the water.

I can get all parts through my agent.

These are €170 + postage which is around €10.

If you have any other questions regarding this product please do not heistate in contacting me.

Everpure Website can be found here

http://residential.everpure.com/products.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just saw an ad in the Advertiser
    http://www.steripen.com/
    Seems like a good short term solution

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So, anyone wish to reply with some personal experience or a review?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

SyxPak wrote:
    So, anyone wish to reply with some personal experience or a review?

We had Galway Water Solutions put in a whole house water filtration system.

All water entering the house is first softened then it goes through a 1micron filter then it is doubly treated with UV sterilisation. Then our drinking water (under the sink) passes through a 6 stage Reverse Osmosis System. Cleanest water in Ireland I reckon.

They were very good, the main guy Paul sure does know his stuff! Would recommend.

• Advertisement

Pencil - how much did that system cost?

I thought €2,000 for the system the H2O company do was expensive, but yours sounds even more sophisticated than theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

The systems cost around 2600 (had them do 1 or 2 other things - so don't know exactly what the system cost) .

I looked at the H2O system - it's just a fancy reverse osmosis system. The rest of the water in the house remains untreated.

It worked out really well - having all the water softened is an unexpected bonus - we haven't had any limescale build up in the kettle or the baby's bottle maker - hence our appliances should last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

The make for the system is Everpure. Model is S-100.

I am purchasing directly from the manufacture, through an agent.

The main part of the system is the filter. These need to be replaced annually depending on the quality of the water.

I can get all parts through my agent.

These are €170 + postage which is around €10.

If you have any other questions regarding this product please do not heistate in contacting me.

Everpure Website can be found here

http://residential.everpure.com/products.aspx

I put in this system myself. If you have decent water pressure, ideally youd put in another filter before it, that would take out grit and muck if its in the water, which will add to the length of the everpure filter. I am going to get the water checked out of it next week, from a colleague in lab, and see what its like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Avoid H2O, its a complete scam at the prices they charge. Its probably worth €100 and the same spent on a good plumber but not a penny more. Read this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095437

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Try www.gencon.ie they sell Trade prices to the public on their website, Based in Limerick, Their of the shelf Reverse Osmosis units are a complete kit and the installation is easy, all the replacement parts and filters can be bought on line as well. or you can buy all the parts and build your own. They have loads of different kit available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement