Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Bags

Options
  • 16-04-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

We all know Ryanair are world leaders in extracting money from you without you realising it especially with on board service & baggage!

Here's a quick guide to avoid the worst excesses.

Bags - 15kg limit on bag placed in hold. €8 per kilo excess charge. (most airlines are 20kg). 10kg limit on carry on bags.

Solution - Use sports bag / back pack for 9-10kg of stuff and carry on board. Put lotions / potions into hold bag - keep it light and it will allow you bring some booze and other stuff home. (works a treat if 2 are travelling together - 35kg for €12 return if booked on web)

If you do buy loads of stuff, get (or bring) a cheap hold-all and go online before the return flight and you can have 15kg for €6 (€12 at airport). -

Food / Drink.
    If you want booze, buy a couple of mini bottles (or small hip flask) whiskey / vodka etc (under 100ml) and just buy mixer.
    Chocs / Sandwiches - buy in airport, much nicer and much cheaper (1.60 for a twix on ryanair)

Lottery tickets - total scam. €2 and feck all prizes. - "win a million". Actually - 10 people win €1000 and one of these are then picked to choose one envelope from 125 envelopes. 124 of these envelope contains €10,000 and one contains a million. - Better chance of winning Irish lottery two weeks in a row!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Don't know if the bag idea will work?
    I was flying Ryanair a few weeks ago. Couple of nights beforehand I realised we'd need to check in a bag. Went online but couldn't find any way of changing my booking to add a checked in bag. As far as I know you can only do this when you make the initial booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bring a coat with loads of big pockets. They dont weight coats.:D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Just wear all your clothes in layers on the flight and bring an empty black sack in your pocket to pack them into at the other side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

c) Fly with an airline that doesn't suck the sweat off a dead man's balls.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I booked a flight this week and Ryanair charged me four quid for not having any bags. It just gets worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

KatieK wrote:
    I booked a flight this week and Ryanair charged me four quid for not having any bags. It just gets worse!

Nah, you just bought yourself "priority checkin" - i.e. you get into the first on the plane queue.

You can choose not to buy this and you pay the normal fair.

Read the site when you are booking. And to be quite fair, if you fly Aer Lingus, you pay up to €15 to book your seat.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

15kg goes in the hold.
    10kg on the carry on.
    But I imagine these are only weighed at checking. Therefore you could offer a 10kg bag up for weighing, have your partner around the corner with a second plastic bag with stuff which you then fill up. Or just leave a bag at your feet, if asked just say it is not going on with you, it belongs to somebody who gave you a lift.

Or get duty free bags and just bring them onto the plane undeclared at check in. I have never seen people questioned about carry on luggage when getting on a plane.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

nereid wrote:
    Nah, you just bought yourself "priority checkin" - i.e. you get into the first on the plane queue.

You can choose not to buy this and you pay the normal fair.

Read the site when you are booking. And to be quite fair, if you fly Aer Lingus, you pay up to €15 to book your seat.

L.
    Dammit, they caught me so. I book on their site all the time, I thought I knew my way around. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wyndham wrote:
    Just wear all your clothes in layers on the flight and bring an empty black sack in your pocket to pack them into at the other side.
    Dont know if I dreamt it but I recall a bag worn on your front (spanish student style), and it was made to look like a beer belly. In fact I think it may have been designed as a reservoir for beer!.
    I know cyclists have pack packs for drink like this. I always wanted one to stash drink into a music festival.

EDIT: I wasnt dreaming!

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2006/01/beer-belly-hidden-booze-bag.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

British Airways are even worse.

I think their international luggage limit is 30kg, but that's only if your 30kg is in one bag, if it's divided between two bags they charge you an extra UK£120 EACH way.

Well, I know who I won't be flying with in the future. Richard Branson, here I come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

mcaul wrote:
    We all know Ryanair are world leaders in extracting money from you without you realising it especially with on board service & baggage!

Here's a quick guide to avoid the worst excesses.

Bags - 15kg limit on bag placed in hold. €8 per kilo excess charge. (most airlines are 20kg). 10kg limit on carry on bags.

Solution - Use sports bag / back pack for 9-10kg of stuff and carry on board. Put lotions / potions into hold bag - keep it light and it will allow you bring some booze and other stuff home. (works a treat if 2 are travelling together - 35kg for €12 return if booked on web)

If you do buy loads of stuff, get (or bring) a cheap hold-all and go online before the return flight and you can have 15kg for €6 (€12 at airport). -

Food / Drink.
    If you want booze, buy a couple of mini bottles (or small hip flask) whiskey / vodka etc (under 100ml) and just buy mixer.
    Chocs / Sandwiches - buy in airport, much nicer and much cheaper (1.60 for a twix on ryanair)

Lottery tickets - total scam. €2 and feck all prizes. - "win a million". Actually - 10 people win €1000 and one of these are then picked to choose one envelope from 125 envelopes. 124 of these envelope contains €10,000 and one contains a million. - Better chance of winning Irish lottery two weeks in a row!

coming back from stanstead to cork on sunday evening someone won €1000, the captain announced it, everyone clapped!

I know its fashionable to complain about ryanair, but they are cheap! I checked out the same flight to heathrow from cork with aer lingus and even after adding; charges, bags, train to london etc it still worked out €80 cheaper to go with ryanair.

if its more baggage and no ads or lotto tickets just pay more and fly with someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

It came to 27kg when weighed- ie- 3kg under our combined allowance of 30kg. So- just for that bag to be checked in- we'd have had to pay €84. We went and bought another suitcase- (which cost €55) and transferred stuff from one to the other. After that- both bags were over 15kgs.

As someone who works in a job that occasionally requires heavy lifting, I'd have to say that I'd prefer lifting two bags around 15kgs than lifting one bag weighing 27kgs.

People seem to forget that its an actual person that has to haul their ridiculously heavy bags onto a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Alot of people complaining here but from what I seen most of ye have not read their terms and conditions,

You might not like them but thats what you got yourself into when you bought a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

What I object to is the hidden charges. I booked three tickets recently from Derry to Stansted return. The tickets were just under £35 (total £105) each return - but by the time all the charges were added in (including an £11.50 Visa charge - £3.50 each although it was only one transaction) the total came to £249 which included 1 15kg bag. If these charges were clear up front then you know what you need to pay rather than getting sucked into buying a £35 seat which actually costs more than £80.

Easyjet don't charge extra for baggage and allow up to 20kg per passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

rubadub wrote:
    15kg goes in the hold.
    10kg on the carry on.
    But I imagine these are only weighed at checking. Therefore you could offer a 10kg bag up for weighing, have your partner around the corner with a second plastic bag with stuff which you then fill up. Or just leave a bag at your feet, if asked just say it is not going on with you, it belongs to somebody who gave you a lift.

Or get duty free bags and just bring them onto the plane undeclared at check in. I have never seen people questioned about carry on luggage when getting on a plane.

Hah, you've obviously not been to Stansted recently. I've flown in and out of there over 20 times in the last 2 years.

At the Security gates if you are carrying a cabin sized bag, they ask you to weight it. If it's significantly more than 10Kg (say 11Kg), you're not allowed through and have to check the bag in.

Secondly, you are only allowed one bag through the security check this INCLUDES your laptop bag :mad:, handbags, shopping bags etc. So women have to stuff handbags inside their carry-on bag and the bag must close properly otherwise, you check in the bag.

To make this worse, I've talked to the staff at the security gate about this and they have told me that once you get past them (even before you go to the metal detectors) it is perfectly fine to take all the bags you have back out of the bigger bag you have stuffed them into and stand in line for the metal detector with 3 or 4 bags :rolleyes:

I know this is true from first hand experience and from having had to cram my laptop bag into my carry-on bag and then take it out again when I was in the queue for the metal detectors. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

r3nu4l wrote:
    To make this worse, I've talked to the staff at the security gate about this and they have told me that once you get past them (even before you go to the metal detectors) it is perfectly fine to take all the bags you have back out of the bigger bag you have stuffed them into and stand in line for the metal detector with 3 or 4 bags :rolleyes:

I know this is true from first hand experience and from having had to cram my laptop bag into my carry-on bag and then take it out again when I was in the queue for the metal detectors. :mad:
    I've heard a (possibly apocryphal) story about someone who just nicked a black plastic bin bag off a cleaner, put his 3 bags into it and walked up to security and asked if that was OK, and apparently it was. Everything went through the scanner in the bin bag, and when it came out the other side, he took the bags out again! You couldn't make it up, really you couldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Alun wrote:
    I've heard a (possibly apocryphal) story about someone who just nicked a black plastic bin bag off a cleaner, put his 3 bags into it and walked up to security and asked if that was OK, and apparently it was. Everything went through the scanner in the bin bag, and when it came out the other side, he took the bags out again! You couldn't make it up, really you couldn't!
    You weren't reading DeVores blog by any chance were you? ;)
    To be honest, the BAA are real jobsworths about this yet if you fly out from some other UK airports you can be loaded down with bags and they couldn't care less...mind you a recent look at the documentary on antics at Birmingham airport make me feel that at least Stansted (BAA) are doing something right in some respects but the idea of making someone pack their belongings into one bag and then allow them to take them out as soon as they pass you is just bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I regularly fly in & out of Edinburgh and coming out of the UK they also insist on one piece of hand-baggage also. But they don't weigh it.

However the hand baggage regulations are not of Ryanair's making. In fact if you remember rightly, Michael O'Leary was one of those fighting for the relaxing of those restrictions last year. As a regular flyer with Ryanair, I have to say I have never had a problem with them. Yes it would be handy if the weight limit was 20kg, but it's just a matter of watching it. And if you're only going for a weekend, you just take your hand baggage and get your cheap flight and you're out of the airports much faster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement