Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The name Finlay

Options
  • 16-04-2007 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My wife and I were thinking of naming our boy (due in two months) Finlay.
    Although we have lived here for 6 years neither of us are Irish so I wanted to check there isn't anything bad about the name Finlay that we don't know about!
    Any views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Not Irish so don't know if there is any specific issues with that name here .

Maybe I am showing my age ,I just think of Dr Finlay and his famous casebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kenzie

Finlay is of Irish origin "Fionnlagh" and means fair warrior.

Can't see anyone having a problem with that. Congrats by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I think its a beautiful name, congrats on the baby btw!

Although, some people might shorten it to Finn, if that's Ok with you - I dont see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I see Finlay all I can think about is Wrestlemania's Finlay and Little B*stard!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Finn isn't bad as nicknames go. It's an unusual name, go for it! And congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Nothing wrong with it except it's a surname.
    (But there are people wohse surnames are also common 1st names, so I suppose it doesn't matter!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Almost certain to be shortened to Fin. Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BoozyBabe wrote:
    (But there are people wohse surnames are also common 1st names, so I suppose it doesn't matter!!)

Yep - sounds like a surname to me too.

But if you like it OP, then what the hell - just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There was a singer Finlay Quaye, wasn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

This is just me being pedantic, but he was Finley. Same name though. And Dice is a great song...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I never realised it was a surname. Have heard no bad connections to that name. I like it so you may go ahead and call your child it !!!!!!!!!!!! A big congrats by the way, having a son is a wonderful teaching experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

BoozyBabe wrote:

Finlay Calder - former Scottish Rugby international. Not neccesarilly a surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

Hi there

My 8 week old son is called Finn - I'm not sure where I heard this name first but I really liked it, a little unusual but not too mental and I like very plain names. As it turns out, it seems to be more popular than I thought! Lots of people I've spoken to know Finn's although I've still yet to actually meet one.

Any time I tell someone my son's name, they're very complimentary about it although they're hardly going to say "Finn.....nah, don't like that name much" :)

Best of luck, am finding it hard work but absolutely loving it, my son is a total and utter dote.

Julietta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

chriski wrote:
    My wife and I were thinking of naming our boy (due in two months) Finlay.
    Although we have lived here for 6 years neither of us are Irish so I wanted to check there isn't anything bad about the name Finlay that we don't know about!
    Any views?

Is it not Findlay

Advertisement