Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some forums are very slow

Options
  • 16-04-2007 1:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The main page loads fine, as does Feedback and the Helpdesk (insufficient privileges to post however) and most others in the Sys category. But almost everything else is ridiculously slow to load, including my User CP. I've cleared cookies and cache, all the usual stuff. Also tried it on my laptop, same problem.

I'm with NTL so maybe it's some kind of forced proxy issue with them.

Anyone else having this problem? I've been having it since last night.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Am on a very good IBB connection here and I'm having the same problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Having problems here too, someone's also mentioned it on the helpdesk. I can't access subscribed threads and a few links seem broken, I just get a blank screen with the dropdown menu on the top of the page most of the time. I'm sure it's being worked on as we type though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Nothing's working, everything is slow, helllllllllpppppppppppp.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Slooooowwww. Ah well, it's lunchtime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

My connections pretty fast and my subscriptions are working now too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

seamus wrote:
    Slooooowwww. Ah well, it's lunchtime.
    It was like this before the 3am back up also.

I'm sure things will be back to normal again when regi hits it with a spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I don't know how loads of people are still able to post. Everywhere times out for me bar here and the front page.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm having problems too. Pages aren't loading for ages, and it's slowing down my other browsers too. Quick reply often doesn't work either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Having same performance issues, taking forever to load CP and subscribed threads... perhaps some teething issues with the new hosting provider.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have had this problem all morning :(

• Advertisement

On the plus side at least adverts is back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think the adverts are being served very slowly, and this is causing the pages to render only when the advert is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Sparks400 wrote:
    Having problems here too, someone's also mentioned it on the helpdesk. I can't access subscribed threads and a few links seem broken, I just get a blank screen with the dropdown menu on the top of the page most of the time. I'm sure it's being worked on as we type though :)

Ditto for the last half hour, was on this morning and everything was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Am I the only one not having any problems? :confused:

crosses fingers and touches wood*

*takes hand out of pants :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

r3nu4l wrote:
    Am I the only one not having any problems? :confused:

...yes, only you........... on motors, home and garden, pages not loading at all, only strap banner at top.

Feedback works, though.............:confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'm having the same problem. :( Everywhere (but feedback, thankfully) are taken an age and a day to load.

Waiting on 89.234.66.106 according to Firefox.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

regi wrote:
    I think the adverts are being served very slowly, and this is causing the pages to render only when the advert is down.

I bet that's it. I have asked this before but is there any way that a site can load first and let the ads come in when they are ready. It seems daft to me for site speeds to be held to ransom by the adlet thingies.

b3t4 wrote:
    Waiting on 89.234.66.106 according to Firefox.

A
    yup thats the message I get too on firefox with lots of annoying random delays today.
    Valentia wrote:
    I bet that's it. I have asked this before but is there any way that a site can load first and let the ads come in when they are ready. It seems daft to me for site speeds to be held to ransom by the adlet thingies.
    Agreed 100%
    Make it so Regi,if you have the time and it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The site has been running quite slowly for me all morning. The menu across the top of the page will load quickly and then the rest takes ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

galwaytt wrote:
    ...yes, only you........... on motors, home and garden, pages not loading at all, only strap banner at top.

Feedback works, though.............:confused:

same here ...Sys is the only category I can access.
    earlier on even that was "read only"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

peasant wrote:
    same here ...Sys is the only category I can access.
    earlier on even that was "read only"

Same, everything else just gets to the drop-down menu and then slows to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

galwaytt wrote:
    ...yes, only you...........

Must be my lucky day so, better buy a Lotto ticket on the way home! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just get Firefox, install the Adblock extension and block all the ad sites as they spring up. The current culprit appears to be 89.234.66.106. No idea what it is since it doesn't appear to have a reverse DNS lookup, which is another reason to block it IMO.

r3nu4l wrote:
    Must be my lucky day so, better buy a Lotto ticket on the way home! :D
    In other words you are the only one of us using adblock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I have adblock running.

I just noticed that google-analythics is taking a week and a day to connect. That's part of the problem for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm getting the waiting for 89.234.66.106 message as well. It's taking forever :(

Everything in the Sys category is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭sioda

Same here and its forcing me into doing some work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Alun wrote:
    The current culprit appears to be 89.234.66.106. No idea what it is since it doesn't appear to have a reverse DNS lookup, which is another reason to block it IMO.

Thank you, blocking 89.234.66.106 has fixed it for me. Everything loading fine again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks Alun, worked for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Valentia wrote:

Well the page is served by web server
    The browser parses it
    Then the browser renders it in what ever order it decides (usually from the top).

Possibly only putting the banner at the bottom or in a frame or satanic evil of evils an iFrame, will allow the rest of the page to load. Or an ad blocker installed. Wait I never said that!

Advertisement