Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a car & reg plates

Options
  • 16-04-2007 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm going to be Vrt'ing my car and as just wondering if there is anyway to avoid an 'end of line' number without having to pay 315Eur???

It doesnt need to be something fancy or under 200, I just wouldnt like a
    00-D-3548752.

Just something smaller that looks a bit neater. Who knows I may get lucky, but can you not choose from a list when they are assigning your number?

Somebody told me that you could choose from a few - is that true?

And also that I could get a shorter number from a car that may have been written off?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Its my 1st time doin the vrt thing.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I recently VRT'd a used bike, and booked a Cherished number, even with contacts within the VRO, I couldn't bypass having to pay the 315 Euro, so your luck's out I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Ok thanks, but do they not even give you a list to choose from a few numbers, or numbers from written off cars in that year??..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

They hold back numbers which they think are desirable, and some do not get taken up or requested by the public so remain available if you want to part with 315 notes (even several years later). Its just that in Dublin they are less likely not to have been snapped up and so still available, unlike within a provincial county.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just wondering lads, do they give you a physical list of unassigned numbers and give you a bit of time to decide or does the girl just read them off a screen and tap her fingers impatiently while you make up your mind.

I've no qualms about the €315 but I think I'd like a bit of time to decide on the number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,764 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

5716 - i wonder who has that number....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tauren wrote:
    5716 - i wonder who has that number....

STIG ???

prospect wrote:
    STIG ???
    would be kinda cool if he did, or the previous fella had it.

I was going to go for it if i was getting a new car, but the GF said she'd dump me if i did. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

LOL , well apparantly 00-d-5716 is registered to a Nissan Micra... LOL out of all the possible cars !

Yeha thats a good question Wishbone Ash..

..So if i just just go to plainly get it refgistered without any fancy number , then its just assigned in numeric order is that right?? ... so the guy before me will probably have 314564 , ill have 314565 and the person aftre me will have 314566 ? is that how it works??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

07-D-5716 is on an Opel Vivaro, 07-C-5716 is on a Hyundai Santa Fe, neither are what you'd call STIG mobieles!!!

08-WW-5716 Seat Leon 1.6S....... i wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just wondering lads, do they give you a physical list of unassigned numbers and give you a bit of time to decide or does the girl just read them off a screen and tap her fingers impatiently while you make up your mind.

I've no qualms about the €315 but I think I'd like a bit of time to decide on the number. :)
    None of the above, at least in my limited experience (2 goes through the system).
    You get to play 'guess the number' by stating your desired number(s) and the nice Revenue person tells you if they're available or not.
    I specifically asked about getting a nice printed/digital list of available numbers, and was categorically told it was not possible. The only way available to me was the above.
    They'll tell you straight up what the next available number is in the normally assigned sequence.

I created an Excel file of number sequences and then went off to www.cartell.ie to check if potential 'nice' ones were already registered.
    I then called the Vehicle Registration people (053-9161247) to check availability.

Attached should be an Excel file containing all the 04-D numbers between 1 and 200, for example.
    Handy for seeing what number combinations look like when making these sort of decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I can confirm things work exactly as Rovi has stated from my own personal experience.

Advertisement