Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby Monitors + Wifi

Options
  • 16-04-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi There,

Am in the market to buy a baby monitor, audio and video, however I have read that they are very flakey when used in a house with an existing Wi-fi network.

Would any forumites recommend a baby monitor that they know works in an 11g environment??

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

I understand that both 802.11g and baby monitors do use the 2.4ghz band. We have a BT baby audio monitor , the first one we got didn't work , I guessed it may have been the neighbours network but I don't know , we don't know the neighbours well enough to ask them to switch it off to test it. But I couldn't detect a network on my laptop when the monitor worked , and could when it didn't .....

We got another one ( same make/model ) and it worked fine ( figured they use different channels )

I now have 802.11g as well and I don't have an issue at all.

I have just been given a spectrum sniffer , Ill go home tonight and check what spectrums they are using and report back :)

Watch this space , unless some-one else knows already......

BTW , take care when buying , the same models vary in price wildly. We got ours in Argos the same one was 20 euro more in Roches ( as was )

Never tried a video one , but can't see the point ,the babies room is pitch dark ( are they infra-red ? )

Arn't most 802.11g devices configurable to change channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Thanks Davidth88

Hi,

Monitored my network last night . My monitor was sitting around the middle of the spectrum......
    However when I started to download off my 802.11g that used the same part of the spectrum , so I reckon the monitor may impact the download speed slightly ( I couldn't see any difference )

Ill investigate further tonight , I didn't start until our little one was asleep so I couldn't go in and switch the ' baby ' unit off ( for fear of waking her :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Bought the Swann video monitor in Maplins, hooked it up last night, works like a charm.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=77857&MenuName=BABY+MONITORING&worldid=-9&FromMenu=y&doy=search

Hi,

I see this is infa-red also .

How good is that ? we thought about this , but what is there too look at ?after all hopefully your little one is asleep :)

Do you see any degredation in your wireless performance ?

You have woken my interest anyway , I will take another sniff tonight ( just because I can :) )

Take care !

• Advertisement
Advertisement