Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Boiler

Options
  • 16-04-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Considering where to place my boiler in new build. Is it much more inefficient to place it outdoor with the pipework running through the ground than to place the boiler inside the house. I know there's bound to be some heat loss but is it reasonable ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Our oil boiler is approx 800mm from the edge of the house. Pipes are insulated so I'm happy that the heat loss is acceptable. Anything is better than having a smelly boiler indoors, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

As long as the pipes are lagged and the run is not too long ,you've nothing to worry about.
    I've installed boilers with 80FT runs ,before anything gets heat .No problems.
    Try and make sure there are not too many elbows used ,bend pipe if it's a long run and everything is roses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I would always have an outside Oil Boiler ..... I layed a 6 inch waste pipe (to act as a duct) in concrete, from my boiler house to the house ...... through this I ran my feed and return water pipes (flexible plastic pipe - Tan colour -can't rem the name of the material but the Plumbers on here will know the type) these flexible pipes were insulated before inserting in the duct ...... I also ran an electrical power cable through the same duct to the boiler house ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

hobie wrote:
    I would always have an outside Oil Boiler ..... I layed a 6 inch waste pipe (to act as a duct) in concrete, from my boiler house to the house ...... through this I ran my feed and return water pipes (flexible plastic pipe - Tan colour -can't rem the name of the material but the Plumbers on here will know the type) these flexible pipes were insulated before inserting in the duct ...... I also ran an electrical power cable through the same duct to the boiler house ....

Qualpex is the pipe your talking about ,you just reminded me about a good product for outside boilers.

Its a flexible roll of 4" pipe with foam inside ,covering two 3/4" pipes.
    I can't think of the name of it ,heatmerchants sell it though. It's color coded aswell ,one side blue ,one side red.
    I haven't got to use it yet ,it wasn't in stock the last time I needed it and foundations had to be laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you have a suitable position, you can have a "cabinpac" right against the outside wall. The pipes go straight through the wall, so there is no heat loss.
    Dilbert75, An indoor oil boiler correctly set up and properly serviced does not smell at all.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

_Brian_ wrote:
    Qualpex is the pipe your talking about ,you just reminded me about a good product for outside boilers.

Its a flexible roll of 4" pipe with foam inside ,covering two 3/4" pipes.
    I can't think of the name of it ,heatmerchants sell it though. It's color coded aswell ,one side blue ,one side red.
    I haven't got to use it yet ,it wasn't in stock the last time I needed it and foundations had to be laid.

This is the stuff you want to look for.
    If you bury a waste pipe and run your pipes through, it won't be as well insulated and there is a chance water may get in, sapping the heat from the pipes.
    You pay extra for it but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

SAw people with outside boiler beside the tank and they nicely have their cut grass rotting away up against it. Very smart altogether!

Advertisement