Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dedicated Nature trails work?

Options
  • 16-04-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of nature trails to be found in forests, parks, headlands and seafronts all over Ireland but do they actually fulfil their intended purpose?

In many cases these trails are good because they are easy to walk and will stop people rushing off into the forest, getting lost and injuring themselves but how much wildlife can be seen from them?

In my own experience, the best way to see wildlife is to find a suitably isolated, quiet spot, sit there and wait. Whether that is by the seashore, a canal, forest, headland or wherever, it seems to me to be the tried and trusted method.

I find most nature trails to be pretty poor unless you plan on doing some long-distance bird-spotting. They are inevitably choked with rubbish and/or full of parents on a walk with their kids who tend to scream and shout and talk. All of these activities are likely to ensure an absence of wildlife. I'm not against these trails and would never object to any activity that gets kids outdoors and interested in nature but for the serious nature-lover I ask, do these nature trails actually provide anything useful?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I take your point. We had a Wood/Pond area locally which while neglected was a haven for wildlife. It was subsequently refurbished by the Tidy Towns and is a "lovely nature walk" now. It has great information signs and is very popular. However, the variety of wildlife has decreased enormously. The place has too many people and children (usually running and shouting) to be attractive to wildlife.
    Personally I think it better to find a quiet spot and watch nature. Having said that, such Nature trails are a good intrioduction for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The reason I started this thread was because I remember distinctly as a child myself and my brother going to quiet, isolated spots beside the Royal canal and we would remain quiet.

After a while we would see Kingfishers and hedgerow birds going about their business, up close and personal but anytime I ever went on a 'nature walk' with my cousins all I'd see would be a load of trees, a dirt track and nothing else thanks to their screaming and shouting.

I agree that in principle nature trails are a great introduction to nature but in practice I don't think they work as well as they should. You need small groups and a good guide.

Then again, how do you keep a gang of kids quiet long enough for the wildlife to emerge? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Well, you can experience "nature" without necessarily seeing any wildlife. For many people, just being out in the fresh air surrounded by trees or walking beside a river is sufficient antidote to the stresses of life.

Also, trees and plants and mushrooms are not frightened away by screaming children, so if that's the side of nature you're interested in, you may find it very enjoyable to walk along a well-trodden nature trail and see the turning of the seasons.

But I agree that if you want to view wild mammals, you need to get yourself somewhere far away from other people. Even without shouting children, the mere presence of another walker 50 metres ahead of you on the trail will pretty much guarantee that you won't see anything.

By the way, do you really think that people are likely to become lost or injured if they step off the path into the forest? It sounds a little alarmist to me!

hibby wrote:
    By the way, do you really think that people are likely to become lost or injured if they step off the path into the forest? It sounds a little alarmist to me!

It may sound alarmist but having been a Scout Leader in Ireland and having worked in Mountain Rescue for a 3 year period I can say that people do stupid things. :D

A simple act like climbing over some deadwood or fallen branches rather than go around them can result in minor lacerations or a broken bone if the pile collapses. Most injuries are caused by laziness and inattention to surroundings.

I've always been interested in both flora and fauna but I think that for kids birds and mammals are the most interesting facets of a nature walk. Invertebrates obviously play an exciting role for most kids too (and me!).

Most kids aren't interested in plants unless they have a very knowledgable guide with them to bring the plants 'to life' so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Well, whether you sit in a hide and wait 24 hours or go on a nature trail you're very unlikely to see an otter, badger, pine marten. What mammals do you have in mind for observation? I saw Red Deer in Killarney national park but they were miles away in the distance. I was on a specific trail there. As you mentioned yourself, plants and invertebrates are the easiest species to see on a nature hunt. You'll certainly see/hear plenty of birds too.

Are you working in the nature area in Cambridge btw?

• Advertisement

Badgers? I see dead ones at least twice a week on the side of the road at the A14! :D

A nature trail that has appropriately located hides could easily allow you to see mammals, especially at night. If a hide is situated close to known animal trails you will see them. I used to scout for trails and then just wait for a few hours. Sometimes I would see the animal in question, other times I wouldn't. You really need a well used trail that leads either to a food source/nest material source/water.

No I work in Medical Communicaitons in Cambridge. In Ireland I was a member of the IWC, I haven't yet joined any wildlife societies over here. My reason for starting the thread was that I visited Thetford Forest last year which has some dedicated nature trails...that happen to run right along the firewall breaks in the forest meaning that you are walking on a completely flat piece of ground about 20 feet wide. Not exactly something that lends to seeing much good wildlife. I think that nature trails do have a purpose and they are useful to some extent but for the serious nature lover who wants to really observe nature, they are only mildly useful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Yes I think nature trails are just good for nice walks. You may see all types of mushrooms, plants, mosses, trees and just enjoy the tranquility. If you see a wild animal it is a bonus, but chances are you won't on a nature trail as all wild animals will most probably avoid the trail because it will be frequently used by people.

I can think of a few nature trails that are smashing one in particular in forest park, Boyle, Co Roscommon, you can walk for miles on their trails and it has a backdrop of a large lake. A river runs from the woodland into the lake and there are many surprises along the trail, top class:)

Advertisement